动词过去式:cultured 过去分词:cultured 现在分词:culturing 第三人称单数:cultures
(a) refined understanding and appreciation of art, literature, etc 文化（对于文艺等的深刻的了解和鉴赏）
*a society without much culture 文化不发达的社会
* She is a woman of considerable culture. 她是个文化修养很高的女子.
* Universities should be centres of culture. 大学应该是文化的中心.
(b) (often derog 常作贬义) art, literature, etc collectively 文化（文学、艺术等的总称）
*tourists coming to Venice in search of culture 前来威尼斯附庸风雅的游客.
2 [U] state of intellectual development of a society 文化（一个社会智力发展的状况）
*twentieth-century mass culture 二十世纪的大众文化
* a period of high/low culture 文化高[低]的时期.
3 [U, C] particular form of intellectual expression, eg in art and literature 文化（智力表现的形式, 如体现于文艺方面）
*We owe much to Greek culture. 我们得益于希腊文化之处甚多.
* She has studied the cultures of Oriental countries. 她研究过东方各国的文化.
4 [U, C] customs, arts, social institutions, etc of a particular group or people 文化（某群体或民族的风俗、人文现象、社会惯例等）
*the culture of the Eskimos 爱斯基摩人的文化
* working-class culture 工人阶级的文化.
5 [U] development through training, exercise, treatment, etc 锻炼; 训练; 修养
*physical culture, ie developing one's muscles and fitness by doing exercises 体育
* The culture of the mind is vital. 修心养性是极其重要的.
6 [U] growing of plants or rearing of certain types of animal (eg bees, silkworms, etc) to obtain a crop or improve the species （植物的）栽培; （动物, 如蜂、蚕等, 良种的）培育
*bulb culture, ie the growing of flowers from bulbs 鳞茎植物的栽培.
7 [C] (biology 生) group of bacteria grown for medical or scientific study 培养的细菌
*a culture of cholera germs 培养出的霍乱菌.
There is a wide range of ways in which people have represented the Holocaust in popular culture.
1. Evidently, culture shock is something you cannot avoid when living in a foreign country. 很显然，文化冲击是一种生活在异国他乡的人们无法避免的东西。
2. Eventually, however, the second stage of culture shock appears. 然而文化冲击的第二阶段最终还是出现了。
3. By the time he can talk, he is the little creature of his culture, 到会说话时，他就是传统文化塑造的一个小孩子；
4. We must discard the archaisms that retard our culture. 我们必须抛弃妨碍我国文化发展的过时的东西。
5. With isolation, you try to avoid the effects of culture shock, or at least that’s what you think. 你想把自己孤立起来以避免文化冲击的影响，至少你是这样认为的。
6. Wagner's, Poincare's, and Descartes' experiences are representative of countless others in every field of culture. 瓦格纳、庞加莱和笛卡尔的经历代表了各个文化领域中无数其他的经历。
7. The Western culture has been molded by the Bible. 西方文化的形成受到《圣经》的巨大影响。
8. This was because ability to bear children was a very important requirement for women in this culture, 这是因为在这个文化里，妇女的生育能力是一个十分重要、必不可少的条件。
9. The Hopi culture is not the only one that allowed young people to visit each other at night. 霍皮文化不是世界上惟一一个允许青年男女在晚上幽会的文化。
10. The last stage of culture shock is called “adjustment.” 文化冲击的最后一个阶段被称为“适应阶段”。