动词过去式:curtained 过去分词:curtained 现在分词:curtaining 第三人称单数:curtains
(a) (US drape) piece of material hung to cover a window, and usu movable sideways 窗帘
*draw the curtains, ie pull them across the window(s) 把窗帘拉上
* lace curtains 花边窗帘.
(b) similar piece of material hung up as a screen 作屏幕用的帘子
*Pull the curtains round the patient's bed. 把病床周围的床帷拉上.
* a shower curtain 浴帘.
(a) screen of heavy material that can be raised or lowered at the front of a stage （舞台的）幕
*The curtain rises/goes up, ie The play/act begins. 幕启（演出开始）.
* The curtain falls/comes down, ie The play/act ends. 幕落（演出结束）.
* (fig 比喻) The curtain has fallen on her long and distinguished career, ie Her career has ended. 她那漫长而成就斐然的生涯已告结束. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page ix.
(b) (fig 比喻) raising or lowering of such a curtain 开幕或闭幕
*Tonight's curtain is at 7. 30, ie the play begins at 7. 30. 今晚的演出七点半开始.
* After the final curtain (ie After the play had ended) we went backstage. 演出结束後我们到後台去了.
3 [C esp sing 尤作单数] (fig 比喻) thing that screens, covers, protects, etc 掩蔽物; 覆盖物; 防护物
*a curtain of fog, mist, etc 一层雾幕、薄雾等
* A curtain of rain swept over the valley. 瓢泼大雨冲刷着这个谷地.
* the curtain of secrecy that hides the Government's intentions 掩盖政府意图的烟幕.
4 curtains [pl] ~s (for sb/sth) (infml 口) hopeless situation; the end 绝望的处境; 完蛋
*When I saw he had a gun, I knew it was curtains for me. 我一见到他拿着枪, 就知道这下子我算完了.
5 (idm 习语) ring up/down the curtain => ring2.
1 [Tn] provide (a window, an alcove, etc) with a curtain or curtains 给（窗户、凹室等）装上帘子
*curtained windows 挂窗帘的窗户
* enough material to curtain all the rooms 够给所有的房间装上窗帘的布料.
2 (phr v) curtain sth off separate or divide sth with a curtain or curtains 把某物用帘幕隔开
*curtain off part of a room 把房间的一部分用布幔分隔开.
1. We like them in the same way that we like pretty curtain material. 我们喜爱它们就像我们喜欢漂亮的窗帘布一样。
2. When the curtain rises, MISS OGDEN, Principal, is sitting at her desk, and MISS DIETRICH, a young teacher, in an armchair near the fireplace. 幕启。校长奥格登小姐坐在办公桌旁。年青教师迪特里希坐在壁炉旁的扶手椅上。
3. The curtain dropped on the last scene. 幕在最后一场拉了下来。
4. They are just pretty patterns. We like them in the same way that we like pretty curtain material. 它们只不过是漂亮的图案罢了. 我们象爱漂亮的窗帘布一样喜爱他们，
5. The curtain went up on the final act of the play and revealed the aristocrat sitting alone behind bars in his dark cell. 大幕拉开，最后一幕戏开演，贵族独自一人坐在铁窗后阴暗的牢房里。
6. A curtain at the back of the stage opened. Six young girls appeared, 舞台后部的帷幕打开了，走出六位年轻女孩子。
7. Gertie (格尔蒂), the first girl who ever made a jacket into a curtain; 格尔蒂，第一个将短上衣改成窗帘的女孩；
8. Ruthie (露茜), the first girl who ever made a curtain into a jacket; 露茜，第一个将窗帘制成短上衣的女孩；
9. One glider on the curtain has gone off. 窗帘上掉了一个滑圈。
10. It was the idea of supporting a craft on a ´pad´, or cushion, of low-pressure air, ringed with a curtain of higher pressure air. 他的设想是：用一个低压空气或软垫来支撑船体，软垫周围用高压空气环绕。