v (-tt-; pt, pp cut)
1 [Ipr, Tn] make an opening, slit or wound in (sth) with a sharp-edged tool,(eg a knife or a pair of scissors) 切; 割; 剪; 砍
*You need a powerful saw to cut through metal. 切割金属需用强劲的锯.
* He cut himself/his face shaving. 他刮胡须时割破了脸.
* She cut her finger on a piece of broken glass. 她被一块碎玻璃划伤了手指.
* cut sb's throat, ie kill sb with a deep wound in the throat 割断某人咽喉.
2 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (from sth); ~ sth (for sb) remove sth (from sth larger) using a knife, etc （用刀等自较大物体上）切下、割下、剪下或砍下某物
*cut some flowers 剪下一些花朵
* How many slices of bread shall I cut (ie from the loaf) ? 我该切多少片面包?
* She cut a slice of beef from the joint. 她从大块的牛肉上切下一片来.
* Please cut me a piece of cake/cut a piece of cake for me. 请给我切块蛋糕.
* Cut yourself some pineapple. 你自己切点菠萝吃吧.
* Cut some pineapple for your sister. 给你姐姐切几片菠萝吧.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (in/into sth) divide sth (into smaller pieces) with a knife, etc （用刀等）把某物切割成小块
*Will you cut the cake? 请你切蛋糕好吗?
* If you cut the bread (ie into slices) we'll make some toast. 你要是把面包切成片, 我们就烤点儿面包片.
* She cut the meat into cubes. 她把肉切成小块儿.
* cut apples into halves, thirds, quarters, etc 把苹果切成两半、三瓣、四瓣等
* The bus was cut in half/in two by the train. 公共汽车被火车撞成两截.
(c) [Tn] separate (sth) into two pieces; divide （把某物）一分为二; 分割
*cut a rope, cable, thread, etc 割断绳子、缆索、线等
* Don't cut the string, untie the knots. 别剪断绳子, 把结解开.
* The Minister cut the tape to open a new section of the motorway. 部长为一段新高速公路的竣工剪彩.
(d) [Tn, Cn.a] shorten (sth) by cutting; trim 剪短（某物）; 修剪
*cut one's hair, one's nails, a hedge 剪头发、指甲、树篱
* cut (ie mow) the grass 刈草
* He has had his hair cut (short). 他理发了.
(e) [Tn, Tn.pr] make or form (sth) by removing material with a cutting tool 切成, 剪成, 挖成, 刻成（某物）
*cut a diamond 雕琢 钻石
* The climbers cut steps in the ice. 登山者在冰上凿出踏脚处.
* cut a hole in a piece of paper 在纸上挖个洞
* cut one's initials on a tree 在树上刻自己姓名的首字母. =>Usage 见所附用法.
(a) be capable of being cut 可被切、剪等
*Sandstone cuts easily. 砂岩容易切割.
(b) be capable of cutting 可用以切、剪等
*This knife won't cut. 这把刀不快.
4 [Tn] cause physical or mental pain to (sb) 使（某人）感到疼痛或痛苦
*His cruel remarks cut her deeply. 他那些无情的话伤透了她的心.
5 [Tn] harvest (a crop) 收割（庄稼）
*The wheat has been cut. 小麦已经收割.
6 [Tn] (of a line) cross (another line) （指直线）（与另一直线）相交
*Let the point where AB cuts CD be called E. 设AB线与CD线的相交点为E.
* The line cuts the circle at two points. 一直线与圆相交于两点.
7 [I, Tn] lift and turn up part of (a pack of playing-cards) in order to decide who is to deal, play first, etc 切牌（从一副纸牌中拿起一部分翻转过来以决定由谁发牌、谁先出牌等）
*Let's cut for dealer. 咱们切牌决定由谁发牌吧.
* cut the cards/pack 切牌.
8 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] reduce (sth) by removing a part of it 削减（某事物）
*cut prices, taxes, spending, production 削价、减税、紧缩开支、减少产量
* His salary has been cut (by ten per cent). 他的薪水减少了（百分之十）.
* The new bus service cuts the travelling time by half. 新的公共汽车交通服务使运行时间减少了一半.
* Could you cut your essay from
5000 words? 请把你的那篇文章从10000字删减到5000字行吗?
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sth) remove sth (from sth); leave out or omit sth 删除, 删节（某物）
*Two scenes were cut by the censor. 有两个镜头被审查员剪掉了.
(c) [Tn] (infml 口) stop (sth) 停止（某事）
*Cut the chatter and get on with your work! 别唠唠叨叨了, 继续工作吧!
9 (a) [Tn] prepare (a film or tape) by removing or rearranging parts of it; edit 剪辑（影片或磁带）; 编辑.
(b) [I] (usu imperative 通常用于祈使句) stop filming or recording 停止拍片或录音、录像
*The director shouted `Cut!' 导演喊了一声 停!
(c) [Ipr] ~ (from sth) to sth (in films, radio or television) move quickly from one scene to another （电影、电视）转换画面; （无线电）瞬间转换
*The scene cuts from the shop to the street. 镜头从商店转换到街道.
10 [Tn] switch off (a light, car engine, etc) 关上（电灯、汽车发动机等）.
11 [Tn] (infml 口) stay away from (sth) deliberately; not attend 不出席; 不到场
*cut a class, lecture, tutorial, etc 旷课、不听讲座、不上辅导课.
12 [Tn] (infml 口) refuse to recognize (sb) 不认, 不理睬（某人）
*She cut me (dead) in the street the other day. 几天前她在街上竟把我视若路人.
13 [I, Tn] (in cricket) hit (the ball) in the direction one is facing with the bat held horizontally （板球）切击（横握球板向正面方向击球）
*He cut the ball to the boundary. 他把球切击到边线.
14 [Tn] have (a new tooth) beginning to appear through the gum 开始长（新牙）.
15 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sth) (esp US) make sth less pure; dilute or weaken sth 往某物中搀入杂质; 将某物冲淡或稀释
*cut whisky with water 往威士忌酒里搀些水.
16 [Tn] record music on (a gramophone record) 灌制（唱片）
*The Beatles cut their first disc in 1962. 披头士乐队于1962年灌了第一张唱片.
17 (idm 习语) cut and `run (sl 俚) make a quick or sudden escape 急忙逃走. (For other idioms containing cut, see entries for the ns, adjs, etc 与cut搭配的其他习语见有关名词、形容语等的词条, 如 cut corners => corner; cut it/things fine => fine3. )
18 (phr v) cut across sth not correspond to (the usual divisions between groups) 与（通常的分类）不符
*Opinion on this issue cuts across traditional political boundaries. 人们对这问题的看法, 超越了他们沿袭至今的政治界线. cut across, along, through, etc (sth) go across, etc (sth), esp in order to shorten one's route 穿过（某地）（尤指抄近路）
*I usually cut across/through the park on my way home. 我在回家途中通常抄近路穿过公园.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Compare cut, saw, chop, hack, slash and tear. 试比较cut、saw、chop、hack、slash、tear这几个词. Notice that they are used with a variety of prepositions and particles. 注意这些词总是与各类介词及小品词连用. Cut has the widest use and indicates making an opening in something or removing a part of something with a (usually) sharp instrument or object *cut使用最广, 意为用（通常指）利器破开某物或除去某物之一部分
*She cut her finger on some broken glass. 她被碎玻璃划破了手指.
* He cut the advertisement out of the newspaper. 他把那广告从报纸上剪了下来. We saw wood by cutting it with a saw and chop it by cutting it with an axe 用锯锯木头为saw, 用斧子劈木头为chop
*We can saw off any dead branches and chop them for firewood. 我们可以把枯枝锯掉劈成柴. Hack suggests hitting something with violent cutting blows, usually in order to destroy or remove it completely *hack指劈或砍某物, 通常旨在将其彻底毁坏或清除
*The explorers hacked (away) at the undergrowth to make a path. 勘探人员披荆斩棘开辟道路.
* Developers have destroyed the landscape by hacking down all the trees. 土地开发商把树都砍掉了, 破坏了风景. Slash indicates damaging or injuring somebody or something with long swinging cuts of a knife or sword *slash指挥动刀剑猛砍或猛劈某人或某物
*The football hooligans had slashed some of the seats in the train. 足球迷中的流氓用刀砍坏了列车上的一些座位. We tear things by pulling them apart with our hands 用手把东西扯破为tear
*Can I tear this article out of the newspaper? 我可以把这篇文章从报纸上撕下来吗?
* She tore up his letter in anger. 她愤怒地撕毁了他的信.
1 wound or opening made with a knife, pair of scissors, etc （刀、剪刀等留下的）伤口, 破口
*a deep cut in the leg 腿上很深的伤口
* cuts on the face 脸上的伤口
* make a cut in sth 在某物上划一刀
* a cut in the edge of the cloth 在布的边沿上剪的一道口子.
2 (a) act of cutting 切; 割; 剪; 砍
*Your hair could do with a cut, ie is too long. 你该理发了.
(b) stroke made with a knife, sword, whip, etc （刀、剑、鞭子等的）抡, 挥, 削, 砍, 击, 抽
*a cut across the hand 手上挨的一鞭子.
3 ~ (in sth) reduction in size, length, amount, etc （体积、长度、数量等的）减小, 减短, 减少
*a cut in expenditure, prices, production 费用、价格、产量的降低
* He had to take a cut in (his) salary. 他不得不接受减薪.
* tax cuts 减税
* a power cut, ie temporary reduction or stoppage of an electric current 电力不足（电力暂时性的减弱或断电）.
4 ~ (in sth) act of removing part of a play, film, book, etc （戏剧、影片、书等的）删节, 删剪
*There are several cuts in the film, ie parts that have been cut out by the censor. 影片中有几处给剪掉了.
* Where can we make a cut in this long article? 这篇长文在什么地方可以删掉一些?
5 piece of meat cut from the carcass of an animal （从屠宰後动物躯体上）切下的肉块
*a lean cut of pork 一块瘦猪肉
* a cut off the joint, ie a slice from a cooked joint of meat 从一大块熟肉上切下的一片.
6 style in which a garment is made by cutting （服装剪裁的）式样, 款式
*I don't like the cut of his new suit. 我不喜欢他那套新衣服的式样.
7 (in cricket) stroke played in the direction one is facing with the bat held horizontally （板球中的）切球
*a cut to the boundary 切至边线的一击.
8 remark, etc that hurts sb's feelings 伤人感情的言语等
*What she said was a cut at (ie was directed at) me. 她的话是冲着我来的.
9 (infml 口) share of the profits from sth （从利润中分得的）份额
*Your cut will be 200. 你的一份是200英镑.
10 (idm 习语) a cut above sb/sth (infml 口) rather better than sb/sth 略优于某人[某事物]
*Her work is a cut above that of the others. 她干的工作比别人要好些.
* She's a cut above the rest (of her colleagues). 她比其他（共事的）人略胜一筹. cut and `thrust (of sth) lively argument; attack and counter-attack 激烈的争论; 交锋
*the cut and thrust of parliamentary debate 议会辩论中的唇枪舌剑. the cut of sb's `jib (dated 旧) person's appearance, manner or style 人的外貌、姿态或风度
*I must say I didn't like the cut of his jib. 说实在的, 我不喜欢他那个样子. a short cut => short1.