1 (US clipping) article, story, etc cut from a newspaper, etc and kept for reference 剪报; 剪辑资料.
2 piece cut off a plant to be used to grow a new plant 插枝, 插条（从植物上截取供扦插的枝条）
*chrysanthemum cuttings 菊花插枝
* take a cutting (from a rose) （从玫瑰树上）剪枝以供扦插.
3 (also cut) unroofed passage dug through high ground for a road, railway or canal （在高地上挖的）路基或河床.
1 [attrib 作定语] (of wind) sharply and unpleasantly cold （指风）严寒的, 刺骨的.
2 hurtful; sarcastic 刺人的; 挖苦人的
*cutting remarks, criticism, etc 尖酸刻薄的言语、批评等.
1. But people are often reproached for unpunctuality when their only fault is cutting things fine. 但有些人不准时常常因为掐钟点所致，他们常常受到责备，
2. The boy was cutting a branch of a tree with his knife to make a cane. 这个小男孩正在用一把小刀削一根树枝, 想做根手杖.
3. The train cuts through infinite territory, most of it flat and boring, and it seems to me that the ceaseless rhythm of the wheels is like scissors cutting a three-thousand-mile rip through my life. 列车飞快地穿过茫茫无际的大地——大部分土地平坦，但令人感到厌烦。对我来说，车轮不间断地发出的有节奏的声音就象一把剪刀，咔嚓咔嚓地在我的生命长河中剪出了一条长达 3.000 英里的口子。
4. Here you can see two workers who, between them, have just finished cutting three cartloads of golden brown macaroni stalks. 这里您可以看到两个工人，他们协力割下了3车金黄色的通心粉秸。
5. He helped with cutting up and studying dead animals, and soon found that this was what he liked doing and was good at. 亨特帮助哥哥解剖、研究死了的动物。不久他发现这一行当正是自己喜欢做又擅长做的。
6. And we have to lower into the ground and haul out of the ground great lengths of drill pipe which are rotated by an engine at the top and are fitted with a cutting bit at the bottom. 我们必须把很长的钻杆一节节地钻入地下，然后再从地下拉出来。钻杆顶部安装的发动机带动钻杆旋转，它的底部装有钻头。
7. A madman mutilated the painting by cutting holes in it. 有个疯子破坏了那幅画, 在上面捅了许多窟窿.
8. A farm worker, who stayed up all night, claimed to have seen a figure cutting corn in the moonlight. 有一个彻夜未眠的雇工还声称他看见一个人影在月光下收割庄稼。
9. Saving the public from cheats and criminals has been an effective excuse for cutting back everyone's personal privacy. 保护公众不受欺骗和侵害一直是降低个人隐私程度的有效借口。
10. Smashing half your best crockery and cutting himself in the process. 将家中最好的陶瓷餐具半数摔碎，同时也弄伤了他自己。