1. By working at tremendous speed, the men managed to get the dish on to dry land before the wave returned. 工人们动作迅速，终于赶在那股大浪返回之前把盘子拽到了岸上。
2. But there were times when not a single piece of dry wood could be found and even Humboldt lay with his eyes wide open, listening to the roars of the beasts that surrounded them. 但也有一块干木也找不到的时候，就连洪堡也睁大了眼睛躺在那里，听着包围他们的野兽的吼叫。
3. The ground must be neither too wet nor too dry. 土不要太湿也不要太干.
4. This was no surprise, for the basement was quite damp, with only one window. 这本来不足为奇，因为地下室只有一扇窗户，又非常潮湿。
5. This realization now entered my life like a flow of water dividing previously dry and solid ground, creating two banks, one of which was my past — so familiar and predictable that even my unhappiness then made me happy now just to think of it; 这种认识就象一股水流一样流进我的生活，把先前干涸坚实的土地一分为二，造成了河流的两岸。河岸的一边是我的过去——这对我来说是如此熟悉, 如此地可以预料，以至于我只要想到它，原先使我感到不快的东西也会使现在的我变得开心起来。
6. The owner hands out AIDS information to all her clients when they enter the shop and shows videos on AIDS prevention while they wait for their hair to dry. 美发店老板在顾客进来时向他们散发艾滋病资料，在他们等着头发晾干时，向他们放映有关预防艾滋病的录像片。
7. Quietly Joan showed him the damp cracked walls, the rotten floorboards, and the collection of buckets, jugs and basins she used to catch rain dripping from the roof. 琼静静地带他看了潮湿裂缝的墙壁、腐烂的地板和一堆她过去用来接房顶滴落的雨水的桶、水壶和脸盆。
8. He put a large quantity of vermouth, both sweet and dry, into a pitcher of ice, added a smaller amount of gin, stirred the concoction rapidly, and poured it out. 他把大量味美思酒，甜酒和干酿都有，倒入一个盛着冰块儿的大水罐中，加了少量的杜松子酒，快速将混合物调和，然后再倒出来。