adj ~ (for sb/sth) likely to cause danger or be a danger 有危险的; 危险的
*a dangerous bridge, journey 危险的桥梁、旅程
* The river is dangerous for swimmers. 在这条河里游泳有危险.
* This machine is dangerous
*the wiring is faulty. 这个机器有危险
able or likely to harm or kill you
→harmful laws about dangerous dogs Some of these prisoners are extremely dangerous. It's dangerous for a woman to walk alone at night.dangerous for The crumbling sidewalks are dangerous for old people.dangerous to The virus is probably not dangerous to humans.highly/very dangerous The aircraft caught fire, a highly dangerous situation. The powdered milk was not as good as breast milk, and was downright dangerous (=actually dangerous) when it was mixed with unclean water.
involving a lot of risk, or likely to cause problems
= risky The business is in a dangerous financial position. a politically dangerous strategydangerous ground/territory
a situation or subject that could make someone very angry or upset Teachers can be on dangerous ground if they discuss religion.>dangerouslyadv people who drive dangerously
WORD FOCUS: dangerous
similar words: hazardous, risky, treacherous, perilous(literary)
1. Energy from nuclear power plants is steadily increasing but the problem of dangerous waste limits growth in many regions. 核电厂提供的能源在稳步上升，但是在许多地区都因核电厂的有害废料问题而使发展受到限制。
2. Except for the gun, he did not look very dangerous. 除了那支手枪，他看上去并不令人感到危险。
3. Because many electrical companies consider nuclear energy too expensive, the trend is toward less dangerous sources of energy. 由于许多电气公司都认为核能代价太大，因此总体趋势是朝着危害较小的能源发展。
4. We were also prepared to act out some mildly unusual behavior that might speak of some emotional problems, without appearing seriously disturbed or dangerous. 我们也准备做出一些稍微有点不正常的行为, 表明我们情感上有问题、但看上去又不是神经很不正常或对他人有危险的行为。
5. The first thing I saw when I entered the art gallery was a notice which said: ´Do not touch the exhibits. Some of them are dangerous!´ 走进展厅首先看到的是一张告示，上面写着"切勿触摸展品，某些展品有危险！"
6. The man wanted to fly to Rockall, a lonely island in the Atlantic Ocean, but Captain Fawcett did not take him because the trip was too dangerous. 这个人想要飞往大西洋上的一个孤岛 -- 罗卡尔岛，弗西特机长之所以不送他去，是因为那段飞行太危险了。
7. This kind of contamination from industry (waste water from factories) can be dangerous for people. 这种工业污染 (工厂排放的废水) 会危及人类。
8. The anger and frustration displayed by people who do not understand what is happening to them will be a terrible and dangerous force in all the major industrial economies. 那些不理解正在他们的身上发生着的事情的人们所表现出来的愤怒和失望将成为所有主要工业国家中的一股可怕和危险的力量。
9. Quite obviously he felt that it would be much more dangerous for the Soviet Union to be outside any world organization than to be in it, provided it could block actions it did not like. 显而易见，斯大林感到置身于任何国际组织之外比参与其中要危险得多，但参加必须有一个条件，即它可以不让通过它所不喜欢的行动（即后来的否决权）。
10. Now that a tunnel has been built through the mountains, the Pass is less dangerous, 如今由于山里开挖了隧道，翻越山口已不那么危险了。