a law, idea etc that still exists but that people no longer obey
a letter that cannot be delivered or returned
1. `B´ is the second letter of the alphabet. B是字母表中的第二个字母.
2. Even though the noble was expected to read the letter at each performance, 尽管那个贵族每场戏都得念一遍那封信。
3. By the time Ben was tired out, Tom had traded the next chance to Billy Fisher for a kite in good repair; and when he played out, Johnny Miller bought in for a dead rat and a string to swing it with; and so on, and so on, hour after hour. 等到本累垮了，汤姆早已把粉刷权转让给比利·费希尔，换来一只完好的风筝。比利·费希尔干不下去了，约翰尼·米勒把粉刷权买了下来，代价是一只死耗子，和一条甩着玩的绳子。于是买主一个接着一个地来了，时间也一小时又一小时地过去了。
4. C.You think about canceling your insurance and writing a letter of complaint to the Better Business Bureau (局). c.你考虑取消你的保险，并写一封投诉信到"服务质量局"。
5. But nowadays even, it is not uncommon for a person to be brought back with heart massage (按摩) perhaps a full hour or more after he's "dead." 但是在今天，一个人在“死亡”整整一小时或更长时间以后，还能靠心脏按摩起死回生，这已不是什么稀罕事了。
6. By 2084, if we can store a dead body in a cold refrigerator room soon enough, lots of people who now would die may not. 到2084年，如果我们能及早将尸体储存到冷藏室内，那么许多现在可能难逃一死的人或许可以就起死回生了。
7. We were astounded to read your letter. 我们看了你的信大吃一惊.
8. What a coincidence ! I was thinking about Roy when his letter arrived ! 多巧呀，我正想着罗伊，他的信就到了。
9. We express our mourning for the dead. 我们向死者表示哀悼。
10. When your letter reached me, I had with me a learned young doctor from Rome. 收到您的信时，我同一位从罗马来的很有学问的年青博士在一起。