名词:deafness 副词:deafly 形容词比较级:deafer 最高级:deafest
adj (-er, -est)
1 unable to hear at all or to hear well 聋的
*go deaf 变聋
* be deaf in one ear 一只耳聋
* He's getting deafer in his old age. 他年纪大了耳朵越来越聋.
2 [pred 作表语] ~ to sth unwilling to listen to sth 对某事听不进
*be deaf to all advice, requests, entreaties, etc 对一切劝告、要求、恳求等充耳不闻.
3 (idm 习语) (as) ,deaf as a `post/`doorpost (infml 口) very deaf 非常聋的. fall on deaf `ears be ignored or unnoticed by others 被别人忽视; 不受注意
*All her appeals for help fell on deaf ears. 她屡屡求助均无人理会. turn a deaf `ear (to sb/sth) refuse to listen (to sb/sth) 不肯听取（某人的话[某事物]）; 对...充耳不闻
*She turned a deaf ear to our warnings and got lost. 她对我们的警告充耳不闻, 结果迷失了方向.
n the deaf [pl v] deaf people 耳聋的人
*television subtitles for the deaf 为聋人做的电视对白字幕.
[Language: Old English;
physically unable to hear anything or unable to hear well
→hearing impaired communication between deaf and hearing people I think Mum's going a bit deaf . She's deaf and dumb (=unable to hear or speak) and communicates using sign language. Tom was born profoundly deaf (=completely deaf) .stone deaf/deaf as a postinformal
→hard of hearing, tone-deafthe deaf [plural]
people who are deaf a school for the deafbe deaf to sthliterary
to be unwilling to hear or listen to something She was deaf to his pleas.turn a deaf ear (to sth)
to be unwilling to listen to what someone is saying or asking The factory owners turned a deaf ear to the demands of the workers.fall on deaf ears
if advice or a warning falls on deaf ears, everyone ignores it>deafnessn[U]
1. This is because, as he is deaf, he cannot hear other people, and therefore has nothing to imitate. 这是因为，一个聋人听不见别人讲话，因此没有可模仿的东西。
2. Traffic noise turns citizens deaf. 车辆的轰鸣声震耳欲聋。
3. A person who is deaf when he is born, is usually dumb as well. 一个人在出生时就耳聋的话，一般他也会是个哑巴。
4. Although other people had written books about her, people agreed that her own books are the ones that best explain how it feels to be deaf, dumb and blind. 尽管别人也写了她的传记，但大家一致认为她的自传最能体现一个又聋、又哑、又盲的人的切身感受。
5. Alexander Graham Bell was a teacher of the deaf. He did not know much about electricity. 亚历山大·格雷厄姆·贝尔曾经当过耳聋学生的教师。他对电学所知甚少。
6. She became blind and deaf. 变得又盲又聋。
7. Places that until recently were deaf and dumb are rapidly acquiring up-to-date telecommunications that will let them promote both internal and foreign investment. 一些不久前还是信息闭塞的地方正在快速获得最新的通信技术，这将促进当地对国内外投资的吸纳。
8. I asked what it was. She stared at me. I thought she was deaf and spoke louder. She seemed frightened as she turned coldly away. 我问她那是只什么动物，她双眼定定地盯着我。我以为她是耳朵聋，所以提高了声音。她却好像给吓着了似的，冷冷地转身走了。