punishment of being executed for a crime 死刑.
'death .penaltyn [singular]
the legal punishment of death
→capital punishment Three Britons are facing the death penalty for spying.
1. Whether the remarkable growth of organized camping means the eventual death of the more independent kind is hard to say. 有组织的露营活动的明显发展是否意味着较独立的自我封闭式露营的最终消失，还很难说。
2. When, about 50 years after Hunter´s death, chloroform was first used in Britain, and, only a few years later, infection was prevented with antiseptics, surgeons could do many more operations. 亨特去世后约50年，氯仿麻醉剂首次在英国使用，仅仅几年之后，感染问题由于使用消毒剂而得以解决，外科医生们便可以做更多的手术了。
3. When Augustus Octavian became emperor after Caesar´s death, he also named a month for himself — August. 恺撒死后，当奥古斯都大帝成为帝王的时候，他也用自己的名字奥古斯塔斯（Augustus）命名了一个月份——8月(August)。
4. The prisoner was condemned to death. 那个囚犯被判死刑.
5. The strong earthquake left death and destruction behind it. 强烈的地震留下了死亡和破坏。
6. The death of his devoted friend made him sad. 他忠实朋友的去世使他很悲痛。
7. The infamous traitor was sentenced to death. 那个罪大恶极的叛徒被判处死刑。
8. The widow lamented the death of her only child. 寡妇为她独生子的死而悲痛。
9. The penalty for spitting is US$10. 随地吐痰罚款十美金。
10. The prisoners were all put to death. 囚犯都被处决了。