fend＝to strike（打击） 变化型 fest
1 used for or intended for defending 防御用的; 防御性的
*defensive warfare, measures 防御战、防御措施
* a defensive weapon system to destroy missiles approaching the country摧毁射向该国的导弹的防御武器系统.
2 ~ (about sb/sth) showing anxiety to avoid criticism or attack; hiding faults 防备批评或攻击的; 隐藏缺点的
*When asked to explain her behaviour, she gave a very defensive answer. 有人问她为什么要这样做, 她则极力为自己辩解.
* She's very defensive about her part in the affair. 她极力掩盖她在此事中充当的角色. Cf 参看 offensive 3.
n (idm 习语) on the defensive expecting to be attacked or criticized 进行防御; 采取守势
*The team was thrown on(to) the defensive as their opponents rallied. 该队在对手重整旗鼓後, 被迫采取守势.
* Talk about boy-friends always puts her on the defensive. 一谈到男朋友, 她总是戒心十足.
1. They were on the defensive. 他们采取守势。
2. Or protect them from sharks by surrounding them in defensive formation. 或在人们周围列队保护，使他们免遭鲨鱼伤害。