(a) clear; not doubtful 清楚的; 明确的; 确切的
*a definite decision, opinion, result, change 明确的决定、意见、结果、变化
* I have no definite plans for tomorrow. 我明天没有确切的计划.
* I want a definite answer, `yes' or `no'. 我要一个明确的答覆, ｀是＇还是｀不是＇.
(b) [pred 作表语] ~ (about sth/that...) sure; certain 肯定; 有把握
*He seemed definite about what had happened. 他好像对所发生的事情很清楚.
* It's now definite that the plane crashed. 现已肯定那架飞机已坠毁.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
definitus, past participle of definire; DEFINE
clearly known, seen, or stated
= clear It's impossible for me to give you a definite answer. We need to record sufficient data to enable definite conclusions to be reached. He'd shown definite signs of resigning himself to the situation.
a definite arrangement, promise etc will happen in the way that someone has said
→indefinite Fix a definite date for the delivery of your computer. [not before noun]
saying something very firmly so that people understand exactly what you meandefinite about She's not definite about retiring from the game.
1. Euro Disneyland's short distance to Paris is a definite attraction. 欧洲迪斯尼乐园距巴黎不远，这肯定颇具吸引力。
2. Water has no definite shape. 水没有固定的形态。
3. There is a definite congruity in the candidates´ approach to the tax problem. 候选人在对待税收问题的态度上有着明确的共同之处。
4. The serious investor needs a proper ´portfolio´----a well-planned selection of investments, with a definite structure and a clear aim. 认真的投资者需要一份正规的投资组合表 -- 一种计划很周密的投资选择，包括你的投资结构和明确的目标。
5. They had a definite meaning, for they were as near as early man could get to writing. 它们有着一定的含义，因为它们已接近古代人的文字形式。
6. Then, even if you haven't uncovered the reason, you should begin to make firm decisions and practice responding to your children's requests in a prompt, definite manner. 然后，即使没能找出原因，你也该开始作出果断的决定，并试着用迅速、果断的方式对孩子的要求作出反应。
7. He sees it edited by a definite set of customs and institutions and ways of thinking. 人们所看到的是一个受特定风俗习惯、制度和思想方式剪辑过的世界。
8. Stalin pressed for a decision to launch Overlord in May, saying, "I don´t care if it is the lst, 15th,or 20th, but a definite date is important." 斯大林敦促作出在五月份发动“霸王”行动的决定，他说：“我不在乎是在1号、15号或是20号，但是一个确定的日期是很重要的。”
9. It is possible that there is a definite relation between these paintings and the markings that sometimes accompany them. 有时，这种图画与墙壁上的刻痕共存，它们之间可能有一定的联系。
10. If the term sounds unscientific to 20th-century ears, let us remember there is a definite connection between marshy lands and malaria, and that the naming of the disease itself perhaps represents a praiseworthy effort of observation. 尽管对20世纪的人来说，“坏空气”一词听起来不科学，我们应该记得沼泽地和疟疾之间有着肯定的联系，因此，“坏空气”一词自身也许代表着一种值得称道的观察。