1 [C] unit of measurement for angles 度, 度数（角的量度单位）
*an angle of ninety degrees (90), ie a right angle 90度角（直角）
* one degree of latitude, ie about
69 miles 纬度的1度（约69英里）. =>App
2 [C] (abbr 缩写 deg) unit of measurement for temperature 度, 度数（温度的量度单位）
*Water freezes at
32 degrees Fahrenheit (32 F) or zero/nought degrees Celsius (0 C). 水结成冰的温度是32华氏度（32 ）或零摄氏度（0℃）. =>App
3 [C, U] step or stage in a scale or series 程度; 等级
*She shows a high degree of skill in her work. 她在工作中表现出高度的技巧.
* He was not in the slightest degree interested, ie was completely uninterested. 他丝毫不感兴趣.
* To what degree (ie To what extent, How much) was he involved in the crimes? 他在多大程度上参与了这些犯罪活动?
* She has also been affected, but to a lesser degree. 她也受到波及, 但程度较轻.
* I agree with you to some/a certain degree. 我在某种程度上同意你的意见.
4 [U] (arch 古) position in society 在社会上的地位
*people of high/low degree 高[低]阶层的人.
5 [C] academic title; rank or grade given by a university or college to sb who has passed an examination, written a thesis, etc 学位; 学衔
*take (ie be awarded) a degree in law/a law degree 获得法律学位
* the degree of Master of Arts (MA) 文学硕士学位.
6 [C] (esp in compounds with first, second, etc 尤用于有first、second等的复合词中) step in a scale of seriousness 严重的程度
*murder in the ,first de`gree, ie (in US), of the most serious kind
* [attrib 作定语] ,first-degree `murder
* ,third-degree (ie very serious) `burns.
7 [C] (grammar) each of the three forms of comparison of an adjective or adverb 形容词或副词比较等级的三种形式之一
*degrees of comparison 比较的等级
* `Good', `better' and `best' are the positive, comparative and superlative degrees of `good'. good、better、best是good的原级、比较级、最高级.
8 (idm 习语) by de`grees gradually 逐渐地
*By degrees their friendship grew into love. 他们的友谊渐渐发展成爱情. to a de`gree (infml 口) very 非常; 很
*The film was boring to a degree. 这部影片非常枯燥. to the nth degree => nth.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
degré, from Latin
gradus 'step, grade'
a unit for measuring temperature. It can be shown as a symbol after a number. For example, 70º means 70 degrees Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.20 degrees Celsius/70 degrees Fahrenheit/1 degree Centigrade etc The temperature dropped to five degrees Centigrade.[C]written abbreviationdeg.
a unit for measuring the size of an angle. It can be shown as a symbol after a number. For example, 18º means 18 degrees Then the cylinder is rotated 180 degrees. [U and C]
the level or amount of somethingdegree of 1960s Britain was characterised by a greater degree of freedom than before. Newspapers vary in the degree to which they emphasize propaganda rather than information.to a degreealsoto some degree/to a certain degree
partly To a degree, it is possible to educate oneself. We're all willing to support him to some degree.[C]
a course of study at a university or college, or the qualification
that is given to you when you have successfully completed the coursedegree in a degree in Economics Applicants must have a degree in Engineering. an Honours degreeby degrees
= gradually By degrees, Huy forced himself into a sitting position.
1. Elephants like to have one master just as dogs do, and are capable of a considerable degree of personal affection. 大象和狗一样，喜欢有一个专一的主人，而且会对主人产生相当深厚的私人感情。
2. WHO believes that, as AIDS becomes more common, the disease promises to unite the world to a degree never seen before. 世界卫生组织认为随着艾滋病越来越常见，它有可能使整个世界以前所未有的程度联合起来。
3. When you're faced with an immediate temptation, remind yourself of your long-term goals — whether they be losing weight or getting a medical degree. 面临着唾手可得的诱惑，提醒自己别忘了自己的长远目标--不管它是什么，减肥也好，拿医学学位也好。
4. The line of zero degree longitude passes through Greenwich. 经度零度线穿过格林威治。
5. The tempreture shown on thermometer is 16 degree centigrade. 温度计上显示的温度是十六摄氏度。
6. The degree of secrecy naturally varies considerably. 保密程度自然差别很大。
7. The body´s tissues are self-repairing and self-restoring to a degree, 人体组织在一定程度上有自我修补和自我恢复的能力，
8. This kind of variability not only loosens the parents' ability to set limits, it also sours the parent-child relationship to some degree, robbing parents and their children of some of the happiness and mutual respect that is present in healthy famili 这样的反复无定不但削弱了父母管教孩子的能力，同时也在某种程度上使父母与子女之间的关系变味 -- 使家长和子女失去存在于健康家庭里的某些幸福和相互尊重。
9. To the degree that we accept and allow such treatment we buy the ageist assumptions that permit this treatment. 我们接受并容忍这样的对待，就是接纳了默许这种做法的年龄歧视。
10. He was an immensely talented man, determined to a degree unusual even in the ranks of Hollywood stars. 他是一个有巨大才能的人，他的决心之大甚至在好莱坞明星中也是十分少见的。