名词:delayer 动词过去式:delayed 过去分词:delayed 现在分词:delaying 第三人称单数:delays
late＝to bring（带来）,to bear（搬运）
1 [I, In/pr, Tn] (cause sb to) be slow or late 使（某人）慢或迟到; 耽搁; 延误
*Don't delay! Book your holiday today! 别拖延! 今天就定下你休假的日子!
* She delayed (for) two hours and missed the train. 她耽搁两个小时, 把火车误了.
* I was delayed by the traffic. 因交通阻塞, 我迟到了.
2 [Tn, Tg] put (sth) off until later; postpone 推迟（某事）; 延期
*We must delay our journey until the weather improves. 我们必须把旅行推迟, 等天气好转再说.
* Why have they delayed opening the school? 他们为什么延期开学?
1 [U] delaying or being delayed 耽搁; 延误; 推迟; 延期
*We must leave without delay. 我们必须立即离开.
2 [C] amount of time for which sb/sth is delayed 被耽搁或推迟的时间
*There was a delay (of two hours) before the plane took off. 飞机起飞推迟了（两个小时）.
1. C.You delay going to the doctor thinking that you will eventually feel better. c.你推迟就医，认为你最终会感到好一些的。
2. Why such a delay? 为什么拖延这么久？
3. They have fewer opportunities to learn the value of money, and have less experience in learning to deal with delay in satisfaction, when every requested object is given on demand. 由于他们一提出要求时，每一样东西都马上就能得到满足，他们了解金钱价值的机会就比别人少，而且他们处理一时得不到满足的情况的经验也少。
4. The core of emotional self-regulation is the ability to delay an immediate reward in the service of a goal. 自我调节情感的核心就是有能力做到为了某一目的而推迟近在眼前的利益。
5. The children who as four-year-olds had been able to wait for the two pieces of candy were, as teenagers, still able to delay pleasure in pursuing their goals. 那些四岁时能够等到两块糖的孩子们，到了十几岁时仍能够为了他们的目标而推迟某种乐趣。
6. He was champing with rage at the delay. 他对这一延误著急上火.
7. His irritation was caused by her delay. 他被她的耽搁所激怒。
8. He said the British government was anxious to begin Overlord as soon as possible but did not want to neglect the great possibilities in the Mediterranean merely for avoiding a delay of a month or two. 他说英国政府急于尽快开始“霸王”行动，但是不想只为了避免一两个月的延迟而忽略了地中海地区的极大的可能性。
9. Start working on the assignment without delay. It doesn´t pay to procrastinate. 马上写功课，不要耽搁，拖延是没有好处的。
10. She has refused an operation that would delay, but not prevent, her death from cancer. 她拒绝做手术，这手术可以推迟死亡的到来，但不能避免她死于癌症。