1 [U] being depressed; low spirits 忧愁; 沮丧; 消沉
*He committed suicide during a fit of depression. 他一时想不开, 自杀了.
2 [C] hollow sunken place in the surface of sth, esp the ground; dip 凹陷处; （尤指）洼地, 坑
*depressions on the face of the moon 月球表面的凹陷处
* The soldiers hid from the enemy in a slight depression. 士兵们隐藏在低洼处, 躲过了敌人.
3 [C] period when there is little economic activity, and usu poverty and unemployment 经济萧条期.
(a) (winds caused by a) lowering of atmospheric pressure 气压降低（形成的气流）.
(b) area where this happens 低气压区
*a depression over Iceland 冰岛上空的低气压区. Cf 参看 anticyclone.
n [U and C]a)
a medical condition that makes you very unhappy and anxious and often prevents you from living a normal life women who suffer from post-natal depression (=that sometimes happens after the birth of a baby)b)
a feeling of sadness that makes you think there is no hope for the future Lucy's mood was one of deep depression .the (Great) Depression
the period during the 1930s when there was not much business activity and not many jobs [U and C]
a long period during which there is very little business activity and a lot of people do not have jobs
→recession the devastating effects of economic depression[C]
a part of a surface that is lower than the other parts depressions in the ground[C]technical
a mass of air under low pressure, that usually causes rain
1. Again, you face the terms: "Loss of self-worth and security, fear of the future, stress, depression (抑郁)." 你又一次面对这些字眼： "失去了自尊和保障、害怕未来、精神紧张、沮丧消沉。"
2. A recent study reports that depression in college roommates is often passed from one person to another. 根据最近的研究，大学生室友的忧郁症往往会从一个人传给另一个人。
3. Someone is always at my elbow reminding me that I am the granddaughter of slaves. It fails to register depression with me. 身边总有人不断提醒我自己是个奴隶的后代，但这并没有使我沮丧。
4. I have a case of depression 我有愁苦的情形.