1 [C, U]
(a) distance from the top down 深, 深度（从上至下的距离）
*the depth of the well, mine, box, trunk 井、矿井、盒、行李箱的深度
* Water was found at a depth of
30 ft. 在30英尺深处找到了水.
* At what depth does the wreck lie? 沉船位置的深度是多少? =>illus at dimension 见dimension之插图.
(b) distance from the front to the back 宽, 宽度（从前至後的距离）
*shelves with a depth of
8 ins 8英寸宽的搁板.
(c) distance from the surface inwards 深, 深度（从表面向内部的距离）
*the depth of a wound, crack, etc 伤口、裂缝等的深度.
2 [C, U]
(a) (of colours, darkness, etc) intensity （指颜色、黑暗等）浓度, 强度.
(b) (of sounds) lowness in pitch （指声音）低沉.
(a) (of feelings, etc) sincerity; intensity （指感情等）诚挚, 真诚, 强烈
*the depth of her love 她爱情的真挚.
(b) ability to understand or explain difficult ideas 领悟或解释深奥意念的能力
*a writer of great depth and wisdom 极具领悟力和智慧的作家.
(c) having or showing this ability 上述能力的体现
*a novel that lacks depth 缺乏深度的小说.
4 (idm 习语) ,in `depth thoroughly 完全地; 彻底地; 深入地
*to study a subject in depth 深入研究一科目
* [attrib 作定语] an ,in-depth `study 深入的研究. in the ~(s) of sth when or where sth is deepest, most severe, etc 在最深处; 在最严峻的时刻
*in the depth of winter 在隆冬
* in the depths of despair 在绝望的深渊
* in the depth of the country, ie a long way from a town 在偏远的乡村. (be/get) out of one's depth
(a) (be/go) in water too deep to stand in 在深得不能站立的水中
*If you can't swim, don't get out of your depth. 不会游泳就不要到水深没顶的地方去.
(b) (be/become) unable to understand a subject or topic 不能理解
*When they start talking about economics, I'm out of my depth. 他们一谈起经济学, 我就一窍不通了. plumb the depths of sth => plumb.
deep] [C usually singular, U]a)
the distance from the top surface of something such as a river or hole to the bottom of it
→deep a sea with an average depth of 35 metresto/at a depth of sth The cave descends to a depth of 340 feet. Plant the beans at a depth of about six inches.a metre/foot etc in depth
(=deep) a channel of about two feet in depthb)
the distance from the front to the back of an object The depth of the shelves is about 35 cm.[U]
how strong an emotion is or how serious a situation isdepth of the depth of public feeling on this issue People need to realize the depth of the problem.[U]a)alsodepths
the quality of having a lot of knowledge, understanding, or experiencedepth of knowledge/understanding/experience I was impressed by the depth of her knowledge. a man of great depth and insight She's quiet, but perhaps she has hidden depths .b)
when a lot of details about a subject are provided or considered Network news coverage often lacks depth. The subject was discussed in great depth .
→in-depthbe out of your deptha)
to be involved in a situation or activity that is too difficult for you to understand or deal with I felt completely out of my depth at the meeting.b)BrE
to be in water that is too deep for you to stand inthe depths of sth
when a bad feeling or situation is at its worst level She was in the depths of despair . The country was recovering from the depths of recession .the depths of the ocean/countryside/forest etc
the part that is furthest away from people, and most difficult to reach Astronomers may one day travel to the depths of space.the depths of winter
the middle of winter, especially when it is very coldthe depthsliterary
the deepest parts of the sea
1. Water was found at a depth of 30 ft. 在30英尺深处找到了水.
2. The irregularities in depth of the shallow water close to the land bring danger to trip. 靠近陆地的浅水区深浅不一给航行带来了危险.
3. The platforms extend to a depth of over 100 feet under the sea. 平台深入海底100英尺。
4. The Japanese are eager to move forward and Westerners, perhaps, lag behind as they take the time for in-depth planning. 日本人热情十足地往前走，而西方人因需要时间作详细计划，则可能落后。
5. And by measuring the time interval between the taps and the receipt of the echoes, the depth of the sea at that point can be calculated. 测出回声间隔的时间，便可算出该处海洋的深度。
6. Such creatures have rarely been seen alive by man as they live at a depth of six hundred feet. 人们很少能看到活着的这类动物，因为它们生活在600英尺深的水下。
7. Our knowledge of the oceans a hundred years ago was confined to the two-dimensional shape of the sea surface and the hazards of navigation presented by the irregularities in depth of the shallow water close to the land. 100年前，我们只知道海洋是二维平面形的，以及靠近陆地浅水区的深浅不一能给航行带来危险。
8. It extends to a depth of 3,723 feet. 深达3,723英尺。