1 (a) [C usu sing 通常作单数] coming or going down 下来; 下去
*The plane began its descent into Paris. 飞机到巴黎开始降落.
(b) [C] slope 斜坡
*Here there is a gradual descent to the sea. 这里有个通向海的缓坡.
2 [U] origins; ancestry 出身; 血统; 祖先; 祖籍
*of French descent, ie having French ancestors 祖籍法国
* He traces his descent from the Stuart kings. 他的祖先可追溯至斯图亚特国王.
3 [C] ~(on/upon sb/sth) (fig 比喻)
(a) attack 攻击; 袭击
*the invaders' descent on the town 入侵者对该城的攻击.
(b) unexpected or inconvenient visit 出乎意料的或不合时宜的到访
*a sudden descent by tax officials 税务官员之突然到来.
4 [sing] change to behaviour that is low and unworthy 堕落
*a sharp descent to violent abuse 突然粗俗得破口大骂.
n [U and C]formal
the process of going down
≠ ascent Passengers must fasten their seat belts prior to descent.descent from/to The descent to Base Camp took about two days.[U]
your family origins, especially your nationality or relationship to someone important who lived a long time agoof Russian/Italian etc descent young men and women of Asian descentdescent from The emperor claimed descent from David.by descent They're Irish by descent.[C]
a path or road that goes down a slope
≠ ascentdescent from/to There is no direct descent from the summit. [singular]
a gradual change towards behaviour or a situation that is very baddescent into alcoholism/chaos/madness etc the story of his descent into drug abuse [singular]BrE
a sudden unwanted visit or attack the descent on the town by a motorcycle gang
1. The plane began its descent into Paris. 飞机到巴黎开始降落.
2. Such a loss of dignity and descent into childish behaviour on the part of the adults deeply shocks the adolescents, and makes them resolve that in future they will not talk to their parents about the places or people they visit. 家长这种有失身份和孩子气的作法使青春期的孩子大为震惊，决心以后不再向父母讲述去过的地方和见过的人。
3. It can take as long as eight days to rig up rope ladders and to establish supply bases before a descent can be made into a very deep cave. 有时需要花费整整8天时间来搭起绳梯，建立供应基地，然后才能到一个很深的洞穴里。
4. If no accidents occur on the way, like punctured tyres, diversions of traffic, sudden descent of fog, they will be on time. 要是路上没有发生如爆胎、改道、突然起雾等意外事故，他们决不会迟到。