动词过去式:designed 过去分词:designed 现在分词:designing 第三人称单数:designs 形容词:designable
1 (a) [C] ~ (for sth) drawing or outline from which sth may be made 图样; 设计图
*designs for a dress, a garden, an aircraft 连衣裙、花园、飞机的设计图.
(b) [U] art of making such drawings, etc 设计术; 制图术
*study textile design 学习纺织品设计术
* industrial design 工业设计.
2 [U] general arrangement or planning (of a building, book, machine, picture, etc) （建筑物、书、机器、画等的）设计, 布局
*The building seats
2000 people, but is of poor design. 这座建筑物可容纳2000人, 但设计很差.
* A machine of faulty design will not sell well. 设计不良的机器销路不会好.
3 [C] arrangement of lines, shapes or figures as decoration on a carpet, vase, etc; pattern （地毯、花瓶等上的）装饰图案; 图案
*a bowl with a flower design 有花卉图案的碗.
4 [U, C] purpose; intention 目的; 打算; 意向
*We don't know if it was done by accident or by design, ie deliberately. 我们不知道那是偶然的还是故意的.
* His evil designs were frustrated. 他的罪恶企图未能得逞.
5 (idm 习语) have designs on sb/sth intend to harm sb/sth or take sb/sth for oneself 企图伤害某人[某事物]; 企图将某人[某事物]据为己有
*She has designs on his money. 她觊觎他的钱财.
* He has designs on her, eg wants to seduce her. 他对她存心不良（如想诱奸她）.
1 (a) [I, Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (for sb/sth) decide how sth will look, work, etc, esp by making plans, drawings or models of it 设计; 制图
*Do the Italians really design better than we do? 意大利人真比我们会设计吗?
* design a car, a dress, a tool, an office 设计汽车、连衣裙、工具、办公室
* They've designed us a superb studio. 他们给我们设计了一个极好的工作室.
* We design kitchens for today's cooks. 我们为当今一代的厨师设计厨房.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] think of and plan (a system, procedure, etc); devise 想出, 计划（一系统、步骤等）; 谋划
*Can anyone design a better timetable? 有人能定出更好的时间表吗?
* We shall have to design a new curriculum for the third year. 我们得设计出三年级的新课程.
2 (idm 习语) be designed for sb/sth; be designed as sth; be designed to do sth be made or planned for a particular purpose or use 为某目的或用途而制造或计划
*The gloves were designed for extremely cold climates. 这些手套是为严寒地区制造的.
* This course is designed as an introduction to the subject. 这门课程是作为该科目的入门课而开设的.
* The route was designed to relieve traffic congestion. 这条路是为缓解交通拥挤而开辟的.
1. Widespread access to information technologies, for example, promises to condense the time required to change from labor- intensive assembly work to industries that involve engineering, marketing, and design. 例如，信息技术的广泛应用有望缩短从劳动密集型的组装工业转向涉及工程、营销、设计等产业所需的时间。
2. They pointed to the empty looms and asked him if he liked the design and the colors. 他们指着空荡荡的织布机,问他是否喜欢布料的花纹色彩.
3. The design of its badge, a red cross on a white field, was obtained by reversing the colours of Switzerland. 红十字会的旗帜，即白底上红色十字，是由瑞士国旗红白两面色互换而成。
4. Today we can design history's and the world's safest recycling facilities, garbage dumps and facilities for burning rubbish. 今天，我们能够设计出有史以来世界上最安全的再造设施、垃圾场和废物燃烧设备。
5. "People think that if they're not at the third stage, nothing is wrong, but that's not true," says John L. Beard, who helped design the Purdue study. "人们认为，只要不到第三阶段就不会有什么问题。这种看法是不对的。" 帮助策划珀杜研究的约翰·L.比尔德说。
6. Also, to prevent property damage, architects now design buildings so that the building's columns and horizontal beams are of equal strength, and vertical support columns are inserted deep into solid soil. 同样，为了预防财产损失，建筑师如今设计楼房时会使房屋的支柱和横梁力度相等，而垂直支柱则深深插入坚实的地基中。
7. People who are content with modern design are probably comfortable with modern life-styles. 对现代设计感到满意的人，现代的生活方式可能会使他们心满意足。
8. Modern camera design tends to simplicity. 现代照相机设计得越来越简单。
9. City planners -- the people who design neighborhoods -- have begun to work on a solution. 城市规划师们——那些设计居民区的人——已经开始努力寻找解决办法了。
10. Notes there are now work-stations that enable engineers to design, test and produce chips right on their desks, much the way an editor creates a newsletter on a Macintosh. 注意到，现在有些计算机工作站使工程技术人员可以在他们的办公桌上设计、试验和生产芯片，就像一位编辑在苹果机上编出一份时事通讯一样。