动词过去式:destroyed 过去分词:destroyed 现在分词:destroying 第三人称单数:destroys
1 [Tn] damage (sth) so badly that it no longer exists, works, etc; wreck 摧毁, 毁坏（某物）
*a house destroyed by bombs, fire, explosion 被炸弹、大火、爆炸毁掉的房子
* Vandals destroyed the bus. 恣意破坏公物的人毁坏了这辆公共汽车.
* They've destroyed all the evidence. 他们销毁了一切证据.
* (fig 比喻) destroy sb's hopes, career, reputation 毁掉某人的希望、事业、名誉.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] kill (a dog, horse, etc) deliberately, usu because it is sick or unwanted 杀死（狗、马等）（通常因其生病或不能保留）; 人道毁灭
*The injured dog had to be destroyed. 这只受伤的狗要予以人道毁灭.
1100-1200; Language: Old French;Origin:
destruire, from Latin
destruere, from struere 'to build'
to damage something so badly that it no longer exists or cannot be used or repaired
→destructioncompletely/totally destroy The school was completely destroyed by fire. companies that are polluting and destroying the environmentdestroy sb's confidence/hope/faith etc
if something destroys someone, it ruins their life completely The scandal destroyed Simmons and ended his political career.informal
to defeat an opponent easily The Bears destroyed the Detroit Lions 35-3.
to kill an animal, especially because it is ill or dangerous One of the bulls had to be destroyed.
WORD CHOICE: destroy, ruin, spoilDestroy
means to damage something so badly that it no longer exists or people can no longer use it : The earthquake destroyed even the tallest buildings.
| The rainforests are being destroyed at a frightening rate.
If you ruin
something, it still exists, but it has lost all its good qualities or features. Ruin
is stronger than spoil
: The rain ruined my hair.
| I don't want to spoil your day.
1. Because they destroy so many insects, and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race. 因为它们能消灭那么多的昆虫，其中包括一些人类的大敌。
2. But there's a vast difference between the breeding programs as practiced by some groups (where the urge to breed certain types of people leads to efforts to destroy other types) and the much more harmless forms already practiced in democratic societi 但是，某些团体实施的培育项目和在民主社会里已经实施的更为无害的培育方式，二者之间存在着天壤之别：前者为迫切地培育某类人而对其余的人进行毁灭，而后者，比如说律师，则是通过自由地选择与别的律师发生性关系得以实现。
3. The armament of any of the great powers could destroy civilization. 任何大国的军事力量都能摧毁文明世界。
4. Sometimes I thought I ought to destroy them before leaving. 有时我还想过应该在离开前把它们销毁。
5. Cattle farmers, miners, and settlers have protested the move and continue to destroy the forests, although at a slower pace than before. 养牛场场主、矿工和移民们反对这个措施，继续破坏森林, 虽然破坏速度比过去已放慢。
6. I do not doubt that it would be possible to inject ideas into the modern world that would utterly destroy us. 向现代世界灌输能彻底摧毁我们的意识形态是可能的，对此我并不怀疑。
7. I do not doubt that it would be possible to inject ideas into the modern world that would utterly destroy us. 向现代世界灌输一种思想以便摧毁我们人类是可能的事，对此我并不怀疑。
8. It too would destroy bacteria in a test tube. 这种霉菌在试管里也同样能杀灭细菌。