动词过去式:developed 过去分词:developed 现在分词:developing 第三人称单数:develops 形容词:developable
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sb/sth) (from sth) (into sth) (cause sb/sth to) grow gradually; become or make more mature, advanced or organized （使某人[某事物]）发展, 发育, 成长, 发达
*The child is developing well. 这孩子发育良好.
* The plot for the novel gradually developed in my mind. 我逐步构想出小说的情节.
* The argument developed into a bitter quarrel. 这场辩论逐渐变成了激烈的争吵.
* We've developed the project from an original idea by Stephen. 我们根据斯蒂芬的设想制定了这个计划.
* The place has developed from a fishing port into a thriving tourist centre. 这地方由原来的渔港发展成一个繁荣的旅游胜地.
2 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) become noticeable, visible or active （使某事物）出现, 明显化, 显露, 变得活跃
*Symptoms of malaria developed, ie appeared. 疟疾的症状出现了.
* The car has developed signs of rust, ie is becoming rusty. 这辆汽车出现了锈迹.
3 (photography 摄)
(a) [Tn] treat (an exposed film) with chemicals so that the picture can be seen 冲洗（已曝光的底片）; 使（已曝光的底片）显影
*take a film to be developed 将胶卷送去冲洗.
(b) [I] (of the image on an exposed film or plate) become visible （指底片上的图像）显影.
4 [Tn] use (land) for the building of houses, etc and so increase its value 在（土地）上建筑房屋等; 开发（土地）
*The site is being developed by a London property company. 这块地正在由伦敦的一家地产公司开发利用.
1600-1700; Language: French;Origin:
développer, from Old French
voloper 'to wrap'
]【GROW】 [I and T]
to grow or change into something bigger, stronger, or more advanced, or to make someone or something do this
→advance Knowledge in the field of genetics has been developing very rapidly. Corsica has developed its economy around the tourist industry.develop into Chicago developed into a big city in the late 1800s.develop from It's hard to believe that a tree can develop from a small seed. exercises to develop muscle strength【NEW IDEA/PRODUCT】 [T]
to design or make a new idea, product, system etc over a period of time Scientists are developing new drugs to treat arthritis. She should have developed her own style instead of copying him. Researchers are developing technology for the US military.【FEELING】 [T]
to start to have a feeling or quality that then becomes stronger He had developed a certain affection for me.develop a sense/awareness/knowledge of sth The children are beginning to develop a sense of responsibility. It was in college that he developed a taste for (=started to like) rugby football.【SKILL/ABILITY】 [I and T]
if you develop a skill or ability, or if it develops, it becomes stronger or more advanced The course is designed to help students develop their speaking skills.【DISEASE】 [I and T]
if you develop a disease or illness, or if it develops, you start to have it Some alcoholics develop liver disease. Pneumonia can develop very quickly.【FAULT/PROBLEM】 [T]
to begin to have a physical fault The oil tank had developed a small crack. The plane developed engine trouble and was forced to land.【PROBLEM/DIFFICULTY】 [I]
if a problem or difficult situation develops, it begins to happen or exist, or it gets worse Trouble is developing in the cities.develop into Regional clashes could develop into larger quarrels.【IDEA/ARGUMENT】 [T]
to make an argument or idea clearer, by studying it more or by speaking or writing about it in more detail We will develop a few of these points in the seminar.【LAND】 [T]
to use land for the things that people need, for example by taking minerals out of it or by building on it We would like to see the land developed for low-cost housing.【PHOTOGRAPHY】 [I and T]
to make a photograph out of a photographic film, using chemicals Did you ever get the pictures developed ?
1. * chemists to develop insecticides to kill the adult mosquito and its young, and researchers to develop drugs to treat malaria sufferers; * 化学家开发杀虫剂来消灭蚊子的成虫和幼虫，研究人员开发药品来治疗疟疾患者；
2. But it was left to scientists of our own time to develop powerful killers of these hateful micro-organisms. 但是，研制消灭这些可恶微生物的特效药的责任落在了当代科学家的肩上。
3. But, of 277 udder cells he fused with egg cells, only 30 began to develop into embryos. 但是，在他将卵细胞与之结合的277个乳腺细胞中，只有30个开始长成胚胎。
4. It cannot judge distances, depths. Later, for its personal safety and practical needs, it has to develop (partly by means of touch) the ability to judge roughly three-dimensonal distances. 不会判断距离和深度。慢慢地，由于自身安全和实际需要，儿童必须发展（部分通过触觉）粗略判断三维空间距离的能力。
5. When one seriously studies the social orders that have had the opportunity to develop autonomously, the figure becomes no more than an exact and matter-of-fact observation. 当一个人认真地研究自发形成的社会秩序时，杜威的比喻就是他实事求是观察得来的形象化的说法。
6. This has made it necessary for agriculture and industry to develop very quickly. 这就使得工农业必须飞速发展.
7. This tradition of guaranteeing anonymity began to develop quickly. 这种担保匿名的传统便开始迅速扩展开来。
8. This has made it necessary for agriculture and industry to develop very quickly. 这就使得工农业必须飞速发展.
9. The life forms most likely to develop on a planet would be bacteria. 行星上最容易生存下来的是细菌。
10. The oceans began to develop an enormous system of living things, with many diverse forms of life, all dependent on one another. 海洋中开始孕育出一个巨大的生物体系，包含各种各样相互依赖的生命形态。