1 thing made or adapted for a special purpose （为某种用途而制作或改装的）装置, 器具
*a device for measuring pressure 测压装置
* a labour-saving device 节省劳力的装置
* an explosive device 爆破装置
* a nuclear device, eg a nuclear bomb or missile 核子装置（如核弹或核导弹）. =>Usage at machine 用法见machine.
2 (literature 文学) metaphor, combination of words, etc used by a writer to produce an effect on the reader （作者用以感染读者的）手法, 技巧（如隐喻、词语搭配等）
*a stylistic device 文体表现手法.
3 scheme; trick 策略; 计策; 诡计; 计谋
*Her illness is merely a device to avoid seeing him. 她所谓生病只不过是避免见他的花招而已.
4 symbol or figure used as a sign by a noble family, eg on a crest or shield （贵族用作家族标志的）图案（如用于饰章或盾形徽的）
*a heraldic device 纹章图案.
5 (idm 习语) leave sb to his own devices => leave1.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
devis, devise 'division, plan'
, from deviser 'to divide, tell'
a machine or tool that does a special job
= gadget modern labour-saving devicesdevice for doing sth a device for separating metal from garbagedevice to do sth The company makes devices to detect carbon monoxide.
a special way of doing something that makes it easier to dodevice for doing sth Testing yourself with information on cards is a useful device for studying. a memory device
a plan or trick, especially for a dishonest purposedevice to do sth Their proposal was only a device to confuse the opposition.
a bomb or other explosive weaponexplosive/nuclear/incendiary etc device
the special use of words in literature, or of words, lights etc in a play, to achieve an effect Metaphor is a common literary device.
→leave sb to their own devicesatleave1
1. The television receiver is an electronic device. 电视接收器是一种电子装置。
2. The strange mechanical device is the prototype of modern cars. 这奇怪的机械装置是现代汽车的原型。
3. The scanning laser beam was an ideal device for reading these markings, and so the Universal Product Code was born. 能进行扫描的激光是一阅读这些标志的理想手段，因而通用条形码便应运而生了。
4. He was an inventor who invented a device to let people breathe under water. 他是一个发明家，发明了让人能在水下呼吸的装置；
5. He called his machine an aspirator (吸气器). The huge device was powered by a steam engine. 他称之为吸气器。这个巨大的装置是由蒸汽机带动的。
6. Another advance, a computer-controlled brain scanning device, has led to a second discovery by those seeking the biological component of mental abilities. 另一进展，一台计算机控制的脑部扫描仪，使得寻找思维能力的生理因素的研究人员有了第二个发现。
7. (which is simply a device 10 for recording the electrical activity of the brain by attaching electrodes to the scalp) shows that while there is a change in the pattern of activity during sleep, 显示，人在睡眠时大脑活动的方式有变化，