n the dickens (infml euph 口, 婉) (used to give emphasis, esp in questions) the Devil （用以加强语气, 尤于疑问句中）相当于the Devil
*Who/What/Where the dickens is that? 到底是谁[是什么/在哪儿]?
* We had the dickens of a job finding the place. 我们费了九牛二虎之力才找到这地方.
n spoken old-fashioned
[Date: 1500-1600; Origin: Perhaps from the name Dickens]
what/who/where the dickens ...?
used when asking a question to show that you are very surprised or angry
What the dickens is the matter with her?
as pretty/smart etc as the dickens
AmE very pretty, clever etc
Isn't she as cute as the dickens!
1. Dickens is my favourite author. 狄更斯是我最喜爱的作家.
2. Dickens might have created Charlie Chaplin's childhood. 狄更斯或许会创作出查理·卓别林的童年故事，
3. Some day I am going to read Shakespeare and Bernard Shaw and Dickens and Mark Twain — all in the original! 总有一天，我会去读莎士比亚、肖伯纳、狄更斯和马克·吐温的原著！
4. Charles Dickens was a raconteur par excellence. 查理斯・狄更斯是一位非常卓越的健谈者。
5. Charles Dickens was a well known writer. 查尔斯・狄更斯是一位著名的作家。
6. I only need one volume to complete my set of Dickens´s novels. 我那套狄更斯小说只差一卷就能配齐了.