动词过去式:differenced 过去分词:differenced 现在分词:differencing 第三人称单数:differences
fer＝to carry（运；载），to bear（忍耐）
1 [C] ~ (between A and B); ~ (in/of sth) state or way in which two people or things are not the same, or in which sb/sth has changed 差别; 差异; 不同之处; 变化; 变化之处
*the marked differences between the two children 两个孩子之间的显着差别
* Did you notice a difference (in her)? 你注意到（她）有什么变化吗?
* It's easy to tell the difference (ie distinguish) between butter and margarine. 区别黄油和人造黄油是很容易的.
* a difference of approach 方法的不同.
2 [C, U] ~ (in sth) (between A and B) amount or degree in which two things are not the same or sth has changed 差距; 差额; 变化程度
*There's an age difference of six years between them, ie One of them is six years older than the other. 他们俩相差六岁.
* I'll lend you 90% of the money and you'll have to find the difference, ie the other 10%. 我借给你这笔钱的90%, 其余的（10%）你自己解决.
* We measured the difference(s) in temperature. 我们测量了温度的变化.
* There's not much difference in price between the two computers. 这两种计算机价格没多大差别.
3 [C] ~ (between A and B) (over sth) disagreement, often involving a quarrel 意见不合, 争执（常引起争吵者）
*Settle your differences and be friends again. 你们消除分歧, 言归于好罢.
* We had a difference of opinion (ie argued) over who had won. 我们在究竟是谁获胜的问题上发生了争执.
4 (idm 习语) as near as makes no difference => near2. for all the `difference it/sth makes considering how little difference it/sth makes 鉴于那事物[某事物]作用甚微; 尽管有所差别. make a, no, some, etc difference (to sb/sth)
(a) have an, no, some, etc effect (on sb/sth) （对某人[某事物]）有、没有、有些...作用或影响
*The rain didn't make much difference (to the game). 这场雨（对比赛）没多大影响.
* The sea air has made a difference to (ie improved) her health. 海上的空气改善了她的健康状况.
* A hot bath makes all the difference (ie makes you feel better) in the morning. 上午洗个热水澡能让人精神振奋.
(b) be important, unimportant, etc (to sb/sth); matter （对某人[某事物]）重要、不重要等; 要紧、不要紧等
*It makes no difference (to me) what you say
*I'm not going. 不管你怎么说（对我来说）都无所谓, 反正我不去.
* It won't make much difference whether you go today or tomorrow. 你今天去也好, 明天去也好, 关系不大.
* Does that make any difference? ie Is it important, need we consider it? 那要紧吗?
* Yes, it makes all the difference, ie is very important. 是的, 非常重要. make a difference between treat differently 区别对待; 不同样对待
*She makes no difference between her two sons. 她对两个儿子一视同仁. sink one's differences => sink1. split the difference => split. with a `difference (following ns 用于名词之後) special; unusual 特别的; 与众不同的
*She's an opera singer with a difference
*she can act well! 她这个歌剧演唱家与众不同, 因为她还擅长表演!
n [U and C]
a way in which two or more people or things are not like each other
≠ similaritydifference between The main difference between the groups was age. There's a big difference between knowing that something is true, and being able to prove it.difference in Researchers found a number of important differences in the way boys and girls learn. subtle differences in meaning There was a marked difference in his behavior toward me. There was certainly no difference between them in terms of intelligence. There is very little difference between the parties on green issues. There's a world of difference between us. Do children know the difference between right and wrong? See if you can spot the difference between these two pictures. Class differences still play an important role in society. [singular, U]
the amount by which one thing is greater or smaller than anotherdifference in age/size etc There's not much difference in price. There's a five-hour time difference between London and New York.
→split the differenceatsplit1
(9)make a/the difference
to have an important effect or influence on something or someone Whatever she did, it made no difference.make a/the difference to One more person wouldn't make any difference to the arrangements.make a/the difference between It could make the difference between missing your train and getting to work on time. Having a good teacher has made all the difference for Alex (=had an important influence) .it makes no difference to sb
used to say that it does not matter to someone which thing happens, is chosen etc Morning or afternoon. It makes no difference to me.our/your/their differences
disagreements We've had our differences in the past, but we get on OK now.settle/resolve your differences
(=agree not to argue any more) difference of opinion
a slight disagreement There have been some differences of opinion as to exactly how the money should be spent.with a differenceinformal
used to describe something which is interesting or unusual, especially in a good way an adventure holiday with a difference
COLLOCATES for sense 1big/major/important/significant differencesmall/minor differencesubtle difference
(=not obvious) marked difference
(=very noticeable) there's no difference
(=they are the same) there's very little difference
(=they are very similar) there's a world of difference
(=they are very different) know/can tell the difference
(=be able to recognize the difference) spot the difference
(=notice the difference)
1. But, being 140 years old made a difference, regardless of what his doctor said. 尽管医生说他还行，可人活到140岁毕竟不一样啰。
2. But there's a vast difference between the breeding programs as practiced by some groups (where the urge to breed certain types of people leads to efforts to destroy other types) and the much more harmless forms already practiced in democratic societi 但是，某些团体实施的培育项目和在民主社会里已经实施的更为无害的培育方式，二者之间存在着天壤之别：前者为迫切地培育某类人而对其余的人进行毁灭，而后者，比如说律师，则是通过自由地选择与别的律师发生性关系得以实现。
3. Benbow is quick to add, however, that cultural expectations probably exaggerate the difference. 不过，班博又迅速补充说，文化传统上人们对孩子的期望可能更扩大了这一差别。
4. What´s the difference between the Asian elephants and African elephants? 亚洲象和非洲象有什么不同？
5. What´s the difference between the Asian elephants and African elephants? 亚洲象和非洲象有什么不同？
6. What is the difference between this and that? 在这跟那之间有什么不同呢?
7. What´s the difference between a Buddhist monk and a Christian preacher? 佛教的和尚跟基督教的牧师有什么区别?
8. What is the difference between this and that? 在这跟那之间有什么不同呢?
9. What accounts for this difference? 如何来解释这一差别呢？
10. What accounted for the difference? 是什么造成了这种差距？