/dɪ'rekʃn, daɪ-; də`rɛkʃən, daɪ-/
1 (a) [C] course taken by a moving person or thing; way that a person or thing looks or faces 方向
*Tom went off in one direction and Harry in another. 汤姆朝一个方向走, 哈里则朝另一个方向走.
* The aircraft was flying in a northerly direction. 飞机正在向北飞去.
* The signpost points in a westerly direction. 路标指向西.
* When the police arrived, the crowd scattered in all directions. 警察一到, 人群就向四面八方散开了.
(b) [C] (fig 比喻) way in which sb/sth develops or is developed 趋向; 趋势; 动向
*new directions in current research 当前研究的新动向
* That is the present direction of government thinking. 这就是如今政府考虑问题的取向.
* We're making changes in various directions, ie of various types. 我们正在多方面进行改革.
2 [C usu pl 通常作复数] information or instructions about what to do, where to go, how to do sth, etc 指南; 指示; 说明书; 用法说明; 操作说明
*Simple directions for assembling the model are printed on the box. 盒上印有装配模型的简要说明.
* I gave him full directions to enable him to find the house. 我向他作了详细说明, 好让他能找到那房子.
3 directions [pl] address on a letter, parcel, etc （信件、包裹等上的）姓名地址
*The parcel was returned to the sender because the directions were incorrect. 包裹因姓名地址有误而退给了寄件人.
4 [U] management; supervision; guidance 管理; 监督; 指导; 指点
*He did the work under my direction. 他在我的指导下做这件事.
* She was entrusted with the direction of the project. 她受委托负责这项计划.
* He feels the need for firm direction, ie wants sb to guide and advise him. 他感到需要有人好好地指点自己.
1【towards】2 directions3【way something develops】4【control】5【where from or where to】6【purpose】7【film/play】
the way something or someone moves, faces, or is aimed Which direction did they go in ?in the direction of sth The suspects were last seen heading in the direction of Miami.in sb's direction Tony glanced in her direction and their eyes met. The girls pointed in the opposite direction . On seeing me, Maurice changed direction and went along the wharf instead. As shots rang out, the crowd ran screaming in all directions .from the direction of sth There was a loud scream from the direction of the children's pool.in a southerly/easterly etc direction Continue in a southerly direction until you reach the road.directions [plural]a)
instructions about how to get from one place to another A very helpful woman gave me directions to the police station.b)
instructions about what to do Be sure you read the directions before using any piece of equipment.【WAY SOMETHING DEVELOPS】[C]
the general way in which someone or something changes or develops We are happy with the direction the club is taking .move/head/go in the right direction I believe that things are heading in the right direction in South Africa.new/different/exciting etc direction The company is hoping to extend its operations in new directions.【CONTROL】[U]
control, management, or adviceunder sb's direction Under Thompson's direction, the college has developed an international reputation.【WHERE FROM OR WHERE TO】[C]
where something comes from or where something leadsin a direction The evidence all points in this direction.from a direction Help came from a wholly unexpected direction.【PURPOSE】[U]
a general purpose or aim Her mother felt that Rachel's life lacked direction .【FILM/PLAY】[U]
the instructions given to the actors and other people working on a film, play etc
→a step in the right directionatstep1
1. But where the American is pressing for a specific decision, the Japanese is trying to devise a rather broad direction. 但美国人总是急于做出具体决策，而日本人却试着制定一个大方向。
2. The ship lost its direction in the Cape. 船在好望角迷失了方向。
3. Tom went off in one direction and Harry in another. 汤姆朝一个方向走, 哈里则朝另一个方向走.
4. Thus the rods, by falling, and by the direction in which they fell, recorded for the slumbering scientist the strength of a shock that was too weak to waken him, and the direction from which it came. 由于地震太弱而未惊醒科学家时，木棒倒下的多少和倒下的方向就为科学家记录下了地震的强度和地震方向。
5. This is of extreme importance when trying to analyze the direction-taking or decision-making process. 在对其取向或决策过程进行分析时，这一点尤为重要。
6. Thus, the direction of the meeting is a mutual attempt to reduce confrontation and achieve harmony. 因此，会晤所向是双方共同努力减少对峙，谋求和谐。
7. To see the direction in which the British police are heading, consider the experience of the Northumbria police who have responsibility for law and order in 5,000 square kilometers of Northeast England. 为了了解英国警方面临的局面，可以看一下诺森布里亚郡警局的情况。该局负责英格兰东北部5,000平方公里区域内的治安。
8. No matter how much we like honey, or how much we have read about the uncanny sense of direction which bees possess, 不管我们多么爱吃蜂蜜，或读过多少关于蜜蜂具有神秘的识别方向的灵感的书，
9. Although an ocean wave gives the impression of a wall of water moving in your direction, 虽然，海浪给人的印象是一堵由水组成的墙向你压过来，
10. A second characteristic is based on "consensus opinion" and "bottom-up direction". 第二个特点的基础是"一致共识"及"由下而上"。