1 [C, U] ~ (between A and B ) difference or contrast between one person or thing and another 差别; 对比
*He drew a quite artificial distinction between men and women readers. 他把男读者和女读者硬是人为地区分开来.
* I don't understand your distinction
*surely all painting is art? 我不明白你为什么要有所区分, 所有的绘画不都是艺术吗?
2 (fml 文)
(a) [U] separation of things or people into different groups according to quality, grade, etc （事物或人按其质量、品质、等级等的）区分
*without distinction (ie regardless) of rank 不分级别.
(b) [C] detail that separates in this way （按此方式划分的）类别, 等级
*distinctions of birth and wealth 按出身和财富划分的类别.
3 [C] mark of honour; title, decoration, etc 荣誉的标志; 荣衔、勋章等
*an academic distinction, eg a doctor's degree 学术上的荣衔（如博士学位）
* win a distinction for bravery 因表现英勇而获得勋章.
4 [U] quality of being excellent or distinguished 优秀; 卓越
*a writer, novel, work of distinction 优秀的作家、小说、作品
* She had the distinction of being the first woman to swim the Channel. 她卓尔不群, 因为她是第一个横渡英吉利海峡的女子.
【DIFFERENCE】 [U and C]
a clear difference or separation between two similar things
the distinction between formal and informal language
There is often no clear distinction between an allergy and food intolerance.
make/draw a distinction
The Act makes no distinction between children and adults (=it treats them as if they were the same) .
the quality of being excellent and important
No one today doubts Eliot's distinction as a poet.
【BEING SPECIAL】 [singular]
the quality of being special in some way
have/earn/achieve etc the distinction of doing sth
At that time, it had the distinction of being the largest bridge in the UK.
The US enjoys the dubious distinction of being the lawsuit capital of the world.
【RESULT】 [U and C]
a special mark given to a student whose work is excellent
He obtained a law doctorate with distinction.
1. There's a big distinction between working hard and being a workaholic. 努力工作和醉心于工作之间有很大的区别。
2. He drew a quite artificial distinction between men and women readers. 他把男读者和女读者硬是人为地区分开来.
3. She had no hopes, no means of being understood, loved and married by a man of wealth and distinction. 她没有希望，也没有条件让一位既富有又有显职的男人理解她、爱她、娶她。