divid＝to divide（分割） 变化型 divis
(a) dividing or being divided 分; 分割; 划分
*the division of wealth 财产的分配.
(b) dividing one number by another 除; 除法
*Are you any good at division? 你的除法好吗?
2 [sing] (often preceded by an adj 常用于形容词之後) result of dividing 分的结果
*a fair/unfair division of money 金钱的公平[不公平]分配.
(a) any of the parts into which sth is divided 分出来的一部分.
(b) (abbr 缩写 Div) major unit or section of an organization （组织或机构的）单位, 部门（如处、科、组、军队的师等）
*the `sales division of our company 本公司的销售部
* Our team plays in the first di`vision (of the football league). 本队在（足球联赛）甲组参赛.
* the `parachute division 空降师.
4 [C] dividing line 分界线
*A hedge forms the division between her land and mine. 有一道树篱在她的土地和我的土地之间形成了分界线.
5 [C, U] (instance of) disagreement or difference in thought, way of life, etc （思想、生活方式等的）歧异, 差别, 分化现象
*the deep/widening divisions in society today 当今社会中巨大的[日益加大的]差距.
6 [C] (esp Brit) (in Parliament) act of voting （议会中的）分组表决
*The Bill was read without a division. 该法案未经分组表决即进行宣读.
* The opposition threatened to force a division on the motion. 反对派威胁要强行将该动议分组表决.
1【separating】2【disagreement】3【mathematics】4【part of an organization】5【military】6【sport】7【in parliament】
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
divisio, from dividere; DIVIDE1
]【SEPARATING】 [U and C]
the act of separating something into two or more different parts, or the way these parts are separated or shareddivision of sth between/among/into sth the division of words into syllables the traditional division of labour (=the way that particular tasks are shared) between husband and wife【DISAGREEMENT】 [U and C]
disagreement among the members of a group that makes them form smaller opposing groupsdivision between/within/among sth Can he heal the deep divisions among Republican ranks?racial/class/gender etc division The old class divisions had begun to break down. The Army was plagued by internal divisions .【MATHEMATICS】[U]
the process of finding out how many times one number is contained in another
, long division long division【PART OF AN ORGANIZATION】[C]
a group that does a particular job within a large organization the Computer Services Division【MILITARY】[C]
a large military group a tank division【SPORT】[C]
one of the groups of teams that a sports competition is divided into, often based on the number of games they have wonthe Premier/First/Second/Third/Fourth Division a second-division club【IN PARLIAMENT】[C]
a process in which members of the British parliament vote for something by dividing into groups MPs forced a division on the bill. Some members supported the opposition in the division lobbies (=the rooms where the vote takes place) .
1. Because females do not have this tendency (this brain division is known to be influenced by male sex chemicals), girls who perform well in mathematics are doing so because they are superior in their overall mental development. 因为女性不具备这种趋势（人脑的这种分工已知是男性激素影响的结果），数学好的女孩是因为她们的整体智力发育很好。
2. When this division is taken to an extreme, unusual mathematical abilities result. 这种分工到了极致，就产生了不寻常的数学能力。
3. The river forms the division between the old and the new parts of the city. 这条河成了这个城市新区和老区的分界.
4. The commander was at the division headquarters. 司令员在师部。
5. They have been gaining in acceptance in the United States since the early 1980s, when more states began passing laws that affected the division of financial assets in a divorce. 自20世纪80年代初以来，婚前协议在美国被越来越多的人接受，因为当时越来越多的州开始通过关于离婚财产分配的法律。