a medical condition in which you see two objects instead of one all the time, for example after an accident
1. It places a terrible strain on the mother-child bond by saddling the mother with the double burden of playing the role of both mother and father; 离婚使得母亲既当母亲又当父亲而不堪重负，从而造成母子关系的紧张。
2. While the media continues to show men of all ages alongside young, smooth-skinned women as a vision of success, women will go on investing in pots of worthless rubbish. 只要媒体继续将成功的形象表现为各年龄层的男性身边伴着皮肤光滑的年轻女性，妇女们就会继续花钱去买一瓶又一瓶毫无价值的垃圾。
3. Their spaceship was equipped with a double door, which was fitted with a bellows between the ship and the outside. 他们的太空飞船上装有两层门, 在这两层门之间, 即飞船与外界之间, 装有一个减压舱.
4. Like adolescents they stand before the mirror, and still cannot fathom the exact outline of the vision before them. 犹如希腊神话中那位漂亮的少年，站在镜前，不能辨认自身的真面目。
5. The Japanese spent $10.9 billion for teaching outside of regular classes last year, according to the institute, including $9 billion on jukus for students in the ninth grade or below — almost double the figure spent seven years ago. 据该机构调查，去年日本人花在正常课堂教学之外的开支为109亿美元，其中90亿是花在课外学校，用于九年级或九年级以下的学生，这几乎是七年前的两倍。
6. Total darkness came as a result of a swelling of the nerve leading to his eye — a condition that was unrelated to the eye disease that had limited his vision since birth. 双目失明是由视神经发炎膨胀造成的--这病与他的眼疾无关。自出生起他就有眼疾，视力有限。
7. His income is double hers. 他的收入是她的两倍.
8. He wears glasses because his vision is poor. 他因视力差而戴上了眼镜。
9. He suggested that a double railway-tunnel should be built. 他提议建一条双轨隧道，
10. Politicians agree, in principle, so America and the EU have been trying to reach a deal which would eliminate the need to double-test many products. 政治家在原则上同意了， 因此，美国和欧洲一直在寻求达成协议，以便为许多产品取消双重检查。