1 [C] small rounded or pear-shaped mass of liquid （液体的）珠, 滴
*`rain-drops, `tear-drops, etc 雨滴、泪珠
* drops of rain, dew, sweat, condensation, etc 雨滴、露珠、汗珠、冷凝水珠
* Pour the oil in drops into the mixture. 将油滴入混合物.2 drops [pl] liquid medicine poured a drop at a time into the ears, eyes or nose 滴剂
*comfort drops, eg used to make contact lenses easier to wear 润滑剂（如用以使隐形镜片容易配戴的）.
3 [C esp sing 尤作单数] small quantity of liquid 少量的液体; 点滴
*I like my tea with just a drop of milk. 我喜欢茶里加一点点牛奶.
* (fig 比喻) He's had a drop too much, ie He is drunk. 他喝醉了.
4 [C] thing shaped like a drop, esp a sweet or a hanging ornament 滴状物; （尤指）糖果, 坠子饰物.
5 [sing] steep or vertical distance 倾斜的或垂直的距离
*There was a sheer drop of five hundred feet to the rocks below. 至暗礁的垂直距离有五百英尺.
6 [sing] (fig 比喻) decrease 下降
*a drop in prices, temperatures, etc 物价、温度等下降
* a big drop in the number of people out of work 失业人数大幅下降.
7 [C] act of dropping; thing that drops or is dropped 空投; 空投物
*Drops of supplies are being made to villages still cut off by the snow. 目前正向大雪隔绝的村庄空投生活用品.
8 (idm 习语) at the ,drop of a `hat without delay, hesitation or good reason 不拖延地; 不迟疑地; 无缘无故地
*You can't expect me to move my home at the drop of a hat. 你别指望我说搬家就搬家. (only) a ,drop in the `bucket/`ocean a quantity too small to make any improvement 沧海一粟; 杯水车薪
*Aid to the Third World is at present little more than a drop in the ocean. 目前对第三世界的援助不过是杯水车薪.
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] fall or allow (sth) to fall (by accident) 降落; 使（某物）（意外地）落下
*The bottle dropped and broke. 瓶子掉下来摔碎了.
* The climber slipped and dropped to his death. 攀登者一失足摔死了.
* Don't drop that or it'll break! 别弄掉了, 不然会摔破的.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] fall or cause (sth) to fall (on purpose) 降落; （故意地）使（某物）落下
*She dropped to safety from the burning building. 她从失火的建筑物上坠落到安全的地方.
* Medical supplies are being dropped to the stricken area. 目前正将医药用品空投到灾区.
* Drop the hammer down to me. 把锤子扔给我.
3 [I, Ipr] (of people and animals) collapse from exhaustion （指人和动物）（因筋疲力尽）倒下
*I feel ready to drop, ie very tired. 我要累倒了.
* (fig 比喻) She expects everyone to work till they drop, ie very hard. 她恨不得把个个人都累趴下为止.
4 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] (cause sth to) become weaker, lower or less （使某事物）变弱、降低或减少
*The wind, temperature, water level, etc has dropped considerably. 风势已减弱了、温度已下降了、水平面已降低了很多.
* His voice dropped to a whisper. 他的声音已降低成轻声细语了.
* The cost of living seems set to drop for the third month in succession. 生活费用持续下降, 眼看就快三个月了.
5 [I, Ipr, Ip] form a steep or vertical descent 形成险峻的或陡峭的斜坡
*The cliff drops sharply (away) (to the sea). 悬崖呈陡坡状（伸入大海）.
6 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sb/sth (off) allow sb to get out of a car, etc; deliver sth on the way to somewhere else 让某人下汽车...; 中途顺便将某物送交某处
*Could you drop me (off) near the post office? 你可以让我在邮局附近下车吗?
7 (infml 口) [Dn.n] send (a letter, etc) to sb 将（信件等）寄给某人
*drop sb a postcard 给某人寄明信片.
8 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (from sth) omit sb/sth (by accident or on purpose) （偶然或有意地）略去某人[某事物]
*She's been dropped from the team because of injury. 她因受伤而离队.
* Many dated expressions are being dropped from the new dictionary. 这本新词典中删去了很多过时的词语.
(a) stop seeing (sb) 不再与（某人）来往
*She's dropped most of her old friends or they've dropped her! 她已经与多数老朋友不再来往了--或者说他们不再与她来往了!
(b) give up (a habit, custom, etc) 抛弃（习惯、风俗等）.
(c) stop doing or discussing (sth) 不再做（某事）; 不再讨论（某事）
*Drop everything and come here! 把一切工作都放下, 到这里来!
* Let's drop the formalities
*call me Mike. 不要拘礼
* Look, can we just drop the subject? 我说, 我们能不能别再谈这件事了?
10 [Tn] (infml 口) lose (money), esp by gambling, etc 损失（金钱）（尤指因赌博等所致）
*I hear they've dropped over ten thousand on the deal. 我听说他们那笔交易损失了一万多块钱.
11 [I, Tn] (sl 俚) take (illegal drugs) orally 口服（毒品）.
12 (idm 习语) die/drop/fall like flies => fly1. ,drop one's `aitches omit the `h' sound from places in words where it is pronounced by educated speakers (often thought a sign of lower-class social origins) 略去单词中的h音（常视为出身低下的标志）. drop a `brick/`clanger (infml 口) say or do sth that is insulting or embarrassing without realizing that it is （无意中）说出或做出伤人的或令人发窘的事. drop `dead
(a) (infml 口) die suddenly and unexpectedly 猝死; 暴死.
(b) (sl 俚) (used to tell sb forcefully and rudely to stop bothering one, interfering, etc 用以叫某人不要再打扰、干涉等, 语气强硬而粗鲁). drop a `hint (to sb)/drop (sb) a hint make a suggestion indirectly or tactfully 间接地或策略地提出建议; 暗示. drop/dump sth in sb's lap => lap1. drop sb a line write a (usu short) letter to sb 给某人写信（通常指短信）
*Drop me a line to say when you're coming. 给我写封短信告诉我你来的时间. drop `names (infml 口) mention famous or powerful people one is supposed to know, so as to impress others 提及名人或有权势的人, 让人以为自己认识这些人而对自己另眼相看. drop a `stitch (in knitting) let a stitch slip off the needle （编织）漏一针, 脱一针, 掉一针. one's jaw drops => jaw. let sb/sth `drop do or say nothing more about sb/sth 不再提某人; 不再做或不再提某事
*I suggest we let the matter drop. 我建议咱们别再提这事了. the penny drops => penny.
13 (phr v) drop back; drop behind (sb) move or fall into position behind sb else 落後; 落伍
*The two lovers dropped back so as to be alone. 那对情人落在後面, 为的是两人好单独在一起.
* (fig 比喻) Britain is increasingly dropping behind her competitors in this field. 英国在这一领域日渐落後于竞争对手. drop by/in/over/round; drop in on sb; drop into sth pay a casual visit (to a person or place) 偶然访问（某人或某地）; 顺便访问
*Drop round some time. 有空就顺便来坐坐.
* I thought I'd drop in on you while I was passing. 我曾想路过时就来看看你.
* Sorry we're late we dropped into a pub on the way. 对不起我们迟到了--我们中途到酒馆去了. =>Usage at visit 用法见visit. drop off (infml 口)
(a) fall into a light sleep; doze 打盹儿; 打瞌睡
*I dropped off and missed the end of the film. 我打了个盹儿, 把影片的结尾给错过了.
(b) become fewer or less 减少
*Traffic has dropped off since the by-pass opened. 自从辅助道路通车後, 这条路上来往车辆已经减少了. drop out (of sth)
(a) withdraw (from an activity, a contest, etc) （从活动、竞赛等中）退出
*Since his defeat he's dropped out of politics. 他失败後就不再从事政治活动了.
(b) leave school, university, etc without finishing one's courses 中途退学; 辍学
*She got a scholarship to Cambridge but dropped out a year later. 她得到了剑桥大学的奖学金, 但一年以後就退学了.
(c) withdraw from conventional society 脱离传统社会.