名词:encourager 动词过去式:encouraged 过去分词:encouraged 现在分词:encouraging 第三人称单数:encourages
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.t] ~ sb (in sth) give support, confidence or hope to sb 鼓励或支持某人
*Don't encourage bad habits in a child. 不要助长孩子的坏习惯.
* He felt encouraged by the progress he'd made. 他取得了成绩而欢欣鼓舞.
* Her parents encouraged her in her studies. 她的父母鼓励她好好学习.
* encourage sb to lose weight 鼓励某人减轻体重.
2 [Tn] help (sth) to develop; stimulate 帮助（某事物）发展; 激励; 促进
*encourage exports 促进出口.
to give someone the courage or confidence to do something
≠ discourage I want to thank everyone who has encouraged and supported me.encourage sb to do sth Cooder was encouraged to begin playing the guitar by his father.encourage sb in sth Fleur encouraged Dana in her ambition to become a model.
to persuade someone to do something
≠ discourage Cantor didn't mind if they worked late; in fact, he actively encouraged it.encourage sb to do sth A 10p rise in cigarette prices is not enough to encourage smokers to stop.
to make something more likely to exist, happen, or develop Violent TV programmes encourage anti-social behaviour.>encouragedadj [not before noun] She felt encouraged by the many letters of support.
1. But Roses Only's prices encourage people to spend. 但是"惟一玫瑰"花店的价格却鼓励人们多买。
2. They set up a system of inducement to encourage workers. 他们制定了一套奖励员工的制度。
3. This is usually a compliment that will encourage him to continue talking. 这种表示通常是对他的赞赏，会鼓励他继续说下去。
4. As a pill rather than a cream, Imedeen works from the inside out, providing the skin with nutritional and chemical support to encourage the body's own self-repairing process. 那是一种叫做"伊美婷"的药丸，不是外搽的霜。它由内到外发挥作用，提供皮肤所需的营养和化学物质，促进人体的自体修复过程。
5. Sometimes parents think rewarding or punishing will encourage kids to work harder, but often they don't encourage at all. 有时家长认为奖励或惩罚会激励孩子更加努力学习，而实际上这些手段根本起不到激励作用。
6. Someday people like me will thrive under a new system that will encourage them, not seek to convict them of cheating. 总有一天，像我这样的福利救济对象将在一种新的福利制度下过上好日子，这种制度不是要千方百计证明福利救济对象在欺骗，而是要鼓励他们自立。
7. Meanwhile, they should encourage those among us who cannot swim five yards before they are gasping for air. 与此同时，他们对我们中的那些游不了5码就已喘不过气来的人应该是种鼓舞。
8. "...while the data...cannot be held to prove the... (hypothesis), they may go so far as to initiate and encourage experiments and observations by which the truth or fallacy of the views held may be demonstrated, which, either way, will be a step in t “……虽然现有的实验数据……无法证明我们的……(假设)，但它们能起到这样的作用，即推动和鼓励科学家去进行实验和观察，以验证我们原有的观点是正确还是错误。不论结论如何，总是代表科学在前进的道路上所走的一步。”
9. Of course, names with a positive sense can work for you, even encourage new acquaintances. 当然, 有积极含义的名字对你是有好处的，甚至能促进你结交新友。
10. In recent years, the government has waged a massive ad campaign to encourage birth control, offering inducements such as free trips to Mecca, the birthplace of Islam in Saudi Arabia. 印尼政府近几年来已发动了一场大规模的广告宣传运动来鼓励节制生育，并提出了鼓励措施，如提供免费去沙特阿拉伯的麦加-伊斯兰教的诞生地-的机会。