adj.相等的,均等的,胜任的,平静的,合适的,不相上下的 n.相等的事物(或数量),对手,匹敌,同辈 vt.等于,比得上
副词:equally 动词过去式:equaled/equalled 过去分词:equaled/equalled 现在分词:equaling/equalling 第三人称单数:equals/equals
1 the same in size, amount, value, number, degree, status, etc （大小、数量、价值、程度、状况等）相同的, 相等的, 同样的
*They are of equal height. 他们一般高.
* Divide the cake into equal parts. 把蛋糕分成等份.
* Equal amounts of flour and sugar should be added to the mixture. 应在混合物中加入等量的面粉和糖.
* He speaks Arabic and English with equal ease. 他说阿拉伯语和英语都一样自如.
* Women are demanding equal pay for equal work, ie equal to that of men. 妇女要求同工同酬（与男人一样）.
* In intelligence, the children are about equal. 这些儿童在智力上大致相同.
2 [pred 作表语] ~ to sth/doing sth having the strength, courage, ability, etc for sth 对某事物有力量、勇气、能力等; 能胜任
*She feels equal to the task. 她认为能胜任该项工作.
* He's equal to (ie able to deal with) the occasion. 他能应付这一局面.
* He doesn't seem equal to meeting our demands. 他似乎不太合乎我们的要求.
3 (idm 习语) on equal terms (with sb) (meeting or speaking) as equals, with no difference in status or rank 平等相处; 地位相等
*Now that she has been promoted she is on equal terms with her ex-boss. 她既然已升级, 就和原先的上司平起平坐了. other things being equal => thing.
n person or thing equal to oneself in some way 和自己相当的人或事物
*He's my equal in strength. 他和我力气一样大.
* She's the equal of her brother as far as intelligence is concerned. 论智力, 她和她哥哥不相上下.
* We consider ourselves equals. 我们彼此不分上下.
v (-ll-) (US -l-) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (in sth) be equal to sb/sth 与某人[某事物]相同或相等
*equalling the Olympic record 平奥运会纪录
* He is equalled by no one in kindness. 没有人比他更善良.
1. Every member of the tribe is equal . 部落的每一个成员都是相等的.
2. They are of equal height. 他们一般高.
3. The modern nuclear family was rooted in the desire to live happily in a more equal marriage, 现代核心家庭原本基于对更为平等的婚姻关系中幸福生活的渴望。
4. The book features more than 500 maps that show areas of genetic similarity — much as places of equal altitude are shown by the same color on other maps. 此书的一大特点是提供了500多幅图，显示相同的遗传基因所处的区域。这很像其他地图上用同样的颜色表示同样海拔高度的地区。
5. He dispenses equal justice to all. 他对所有人一律公平对待。
6. And another group were disturbed for an equal period of time but when they were not exhibiting eye-movements, 另一组人也是连续几夜被叫醒，但是在眼球队没活动时被叫醒的。
7. All are entitled to an equal start. 所有的人都有平等起点的权利.
8. A liter is equal to 1,000 c.c. 一公升等于一千毫升。
9. All are entitled to an equal start. 所有的人都享有平等起步的权利。
10. Also, to prevent property damage, architects now design buildings so that the building's columns and horizontal beams are of equal strength, and vertical support columns are inserted deep into solid soil. 同样，为了预防财产损失，建筑师如今设计楼房时会使房屋的支柱和横梁力度相等，而垂直支柱则深深插入坚实的地基中。