1 [C, U] part of the day between about 6p.m. and bedtime 晚上; 晚间
*I'll come round tomorrow evening. 我明天晚上来.
* We were at home yesterday evening. 我们昨天晚上在家.
* One warm summer evening.../On a warm summer evening... 在夏天一个温暖的夜晚...
* In the evening I usually read. 晚上我常常看书.
* Let's meet on Sunday evening. 咱们星期日晚上见吧.
* [attrib 作定语] the evening show 晚上的节目.
2 [C] outing or party of a specified type, happening in the evening 晚间的外出活动; 晚会
*A theatre evening (ie an evening at the theatre) has been arranged. 已安排好一个戏剧晚会.
* musical evenings, ie evenings especially for listening to or playing music 音乐晚会.
3 (fig fml 比喻, 文) the last part (esp of one's life) 最後部分; （尤指）晚年, 暮年
*in the evening of his life 在他的晚年. =>Usage at morning 用法见morning.
1. Every day they parted in the morning and met in the evening. 此后，他们早上分手晚上见，每天如此。
2. Evening came before we realized it. 不知不觉已是黄昏时分了，
3. Evening came and a cold wind was blowing. 傍晚来临，刮着寒风。
4. Each evening Humboldt and Bonpland made up their journals, writing sometimes for two hours by the light of the fires. 每天晚上，洪堡和庞普朗都记日志，有时就着篝火的光亮要写上两个小时。
5. But sometimes she would sit by the window and think of the evening long ago. 但有时她会坐在窗前，回想一下很久以前的那个夜晚。
6. For the puma was often observed at one place in the morning and at another place twenty miles away in the evening. 因为常常是早晨在甲地发现那只美洲狮，晚上却在20英里外的乙地发现它的踪迹。
7. We have evening meal at five. 我们在五点吃晚餐.
8. We could smell the odorous smell of the orchid all evening. 我们整个晚上都能闻到兰花的香味。
9. We all know what the poor man should have said, but what he actually said was: ´This is the Poo and Ee Seed Bird Company. Good ladies, evening and gentlemen!´ 我们都明白那个可怜的人应该说些什么，而他实际说的却是："这是´浦伊´鸟食公司，好女士们，晚上和先生们！"
10. Where´s Mr. Williams this evening? 威廉斯先生今晚去哪儿了？