名词:exactness 动词过去式:exacted 过去分词:exacted 现在分词:exacting 第三人称单数:exacts 形容词:exactable
1 correct in every detail; precise 正确的; 准确的; 精确的
*What were his exact words? 他的原话是怎么说的?
* I don't know the exact size of the room. 我不知道这个房间的确切面积.
* He's in his mid-fifties; well, fifty-six to be exact (ie more accurately). 他五十多岁; 嗯, 确切地说是五十六岁.
2 capable of being precise and accurate 严谨的; 精密的
*an exact scholar 治学严谨的学者
* She's a very exact person. 她是个一丝不苟的人.
* the exact sciences, ie those in which absolute precision is possible, eg mathematics 精密科学（如数学）.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sb)
(a) demand and enforce the payment of sth 强索费用
*exact payment (from a client) 逼迫（委托人）付款
* The kidnappers exacted a ransom of
10000 from the family. 绑架者向这家人家勒索10000英镑的赎金.
(b) insist on and obtain sth 坚持要得到某事物
*exact obedience from one's staff 坚持要全体工作人员服从.
2 [Tn] (of work, circumstances, etc) make (sth) necessary; require （指工作、环境等）使（某事物）不可或缺; 要求; 需要
*(fml 文) Her work exacts great care and attention to detail. 她的工作需要极为细心, 一丝不苟.
1. English words, it seemed to me, had exact equivalents in Chinese, and so, to express one´s ideas in English, it was just a matter of putting the words together according to the rules of grammar. 我以为汉语中对每个英语单词都有准确的对应词，要用英语表达思想，只需根据语法规则把英语单词组合起来。
2. For it is impossible to foretell the exact nature of the difficulties which will confront the pot-holer. 因为无法预见到洞穴探险者究竟会遇到什么性质的困难。
3. When one seriously studies the social orders that have had the opportunity to develop autonomously, the figure becomes no more than an exact and matter-of-fact observation. 当一个人认真地研究自发形成的社会秩序时，杜威的比喻就是他实事求是观察得来的形象化的说法。
4. Like adolescents they stand before the mirror, and still cannot fathom the exact outline of the vision before them. 犹如希腊神话中那位漂亮的少年，站在镜前，不能辨认自身的真面目。
5. The editor at once sent the journalist a fax instructing him to find out the exact number of steps and the height of the wall. 编辑立即给那位记者发去传真，要求他核实一下台阶的确切数字和围墙的高度。
6. The cloned lamb, named Dolly, has the exact same genes as the adult sheep from which she was cloned. 克隆出的羊羔名为多莉，她具有和其被克隆的成年绵羊完全一样的基因。
7. Though they look exactly the same, clones are not necessarily exact copies. 尽管克隆的人看上去一模一样，但他们并非必定是一模一样的翻版。
8. He is exact in everything. 他事事一丝不苟。
9. A housewife who lost her cat found it in the exact place predicted. 还有一个丢了猫的家庭主妇，恰恰就在预测的地点找到了它。
10. Scientists in Scotland recently announced that, for the first time, they have cloned an exact copy of an adult mammal. 苏格兰科学家最近宣称，他们第一次克隆了一只成年哺乳动物。