1 total loss of strength; extreme tiredness 筋疲力尽; 精疲力竭; 极度疲劳
*They were in a state of exhaustion after climbing the mountain. 他们爬山以後筋疲力尽了.
2 (fml 文) action of using up completely 用尽; 耗尽; 枯竭
*the rapid exhaustion of the earth's natural resources 地球上自然资源的迅速枯竭.
He collapsed with exhaustion.
Sheer exhaustion forced him to give up.
Many runners were suffering from heat exhaustion (=when you become tired and ill because you are too hot) .
(=when you become ill because you have been working too hard or have been very worried)
when all of something has been used
the exhaustion of oil supplies
1. The exhaustion of gas from a bus polluted the air. 从公共汽车排出的气体会污染环境。
2. The pilots in the RAF reached the limits of exhaustion and then went beyond those limits, still fighting. 这些皇家空军的飞行员已经到了疲劳的极限，却还在超越极限地继续战斗。
3. He was gasping for air and seemed close to exhaustion. 他气喘吁吁, 似乎快筋疲力尽了。
4. And these will ply the short wings with such irresistible power that they can bore for long distances through an opposing gale before exhaustion follows. 这些肌肉以巨大的力量扇动短小的翅膀，使这类鸟能顶着大风飞行很远的路才会疲劳。
5. You may pick them up in utter exhaustion, if wind over the sea has driven them to a long journey. 如果海风驱使它们飞行很长距离，你可以捡到一些因筋疲力尽而摔下来的鹧鸪。