名词:expander 动词过去式:expanded 过去分词:expanded 现在分词:expanding 第三人称单数:expands 形容词:expandable
ex-=out of,fully 变化型 a-,e-,ec-,ef-,es-,iss-,s-
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sth) (into sth) (cause sth to) become greater in size, number or importance 使（某事物）变大, 扩大, 增大, 增加, 增强, 扩展
*Metals expand when they are heated. 金属受热则膨胀.
* A tyre expands when you pump air into it. 轮胎一打气就鼓起来.
* His modest business eventually expanded into a supermarket empire. 他原先不大的生意後来扩展成了超级市场集团企业.
* Our foreign trade has expanded greatly in recent years. 我国的对外贸易近年来已有极大发展.
* Why not try to expand your story into a novel? 你怎么不把你的故事扩展成小说呢?
2 [I, Ipr] spread out; unfold 伸展; 伸开; 张开; 展开
*The petals of the flowers expanded in the sunshine. 花瓣在阳光下张开了.
* His face expanded in a smile of welcome. 他喜笑颜开地表示欢迎. Cf 参看 contract3.
3 [I] (of a person) become more friendly or talkative （指人）变得热情或愿意交谈
*The guests expanded a little when they'd had a glass or two of wine. 客人们喝了一两杯酒以後, 就有说有笑了.
4 (phr v) expand on sth develop or give more of (a story, an argument, etc) 阐述或详述（某事, 故事, 论点等）
*You mentioned the need for extra funding. Would you expand on that? 你曾提到需要一笔额外资金. 你详细谈谈好吗?
1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:
expandere, from pandere 'to spread'
] [I and T]
to become larger in size, number, or amount, or to make something become larger
≠ contract Water expands as it freezes. Sydney's population expanded rapidly in the 1960s. exercises that expand the chest muscles his expanding waistline [I and T]
if a company, business etc expands, or if someone expands it, they open new shops, factories etc
→expansion The computer industry has expanded greatly over the last decade. The hotel wants to expand its business by adding a swimming pool. the rapidly expanding field of information technologyexpand into We have plans to expand into the U.S. market. [I]literary
to become more confident and start to talk more After a few whiskies he started to expand a little.expand on/upon
[expand on/upon sth] phr v
to add more details or information to something that you have already said Payne later expanded on his initial statement.
1. Expand your world. Many discoveries in science, engineering and the arts mix ideas from different fields. Consider "The Two-String Problem." 拓展你的视野。许多理工和人文科学方面的发现都融合了不同领域中的思想。以"两绳问题"为例。
2. The petals of many flowers expand in sunshine. 要阳光下许多花的花瓣开放。
3. The company, which has its headquarters in New York, has three stores in New York, one in Canada and five in Spain. It plans to expand to three more U.S. cities this year. 该公司总部设在纽约，分店在纽约有三家，加拿大有一家，西班牙有五家，今年还计划在另外三座美国城市增设分店。