/ɪk'strɔ:dnrɪ; [US] -dənerɪ; ɪk`strɔrdn,ɛrɪ/
1 beyond what is ordinary; very unusual; remarkable 不平常的; 不普通的; 非常的; 格外的
*Her talents are quite extraordinary. 她才华出众.
* extraordinary weather for the time of year 一年中某段时间的反常天气
* an extraordinary film about a highly gifted child 关于一个天赋极高的孩子的出色影片.
2 [attrib 作定语] (fml 文) (of arrangements, meetings, etc) additional to what is usual or ordinary （指安排、会议等）特别的
*an extraordinary general meeting 特别全会.
3 (used immediately after a n 紧接名词之後) (fml 文) (of an official) specially employed; additional to the usual one （指官员）特命的, 特派的
*envoy/ambassador extraordinary 特使[特派大使].
1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:
extraordinarius, from extra ordinem 'out of the usual course'
, from ordo 'order'
very unusual or surprising It took an extraordinary amount of work. It's extraordinary that he should make exactly the same mistake again.quite/most extraordinaryBrE Chris's behaviour that morning was quite extraordinary.extraordinary thing to do/say/happen What an extraordinary thing to do!how extraordinary!BrE spoken
(=used to express surprise) see usage noteunusual
very much greater or more impressive than usual
= incredible a woman of extraordinary beauty an extraordinary talentextraordinary meeting/session etc
a meeting which takes place in addition to the usual onesenvoy/ambassador/minister extraordinary
an official employed for a special purpose, in addition to the usual officials
1. It has made extraordinary progress in the accumulation of knowledge. 但在知识积累方面却取得了巨大的进步。
2. This organic process, often leading to moments of extraordinary self-discovery, is of an indescribable fascination. 这种有机的加工过程往往达到不寻常自我发现的境界，具有难以言表的构思魅力。
3. They disregard social conventions without being conscious that they are doing anything extraordinary. 他们不顾社会习俗，意识不到自己所作所为有什么特殊之处。
4. The announcement amounted to an extraordinary reversal for Euro Disney, which opened amid immense celebration and widespread predictions of immediate success. 这一宣布等于是说欧洲迪斯尼的情况出现了罕见的逆转。当初它在一片欢呼声中开张，并被普遍看好会立即获得成功。
5. Her talents are quite extraordinary. 她才华出众.
6. And we have only to turn to that extraordinary discovery of echo-location in bats to see a case in which the voice plays a strictly utilitarian role. 我们只要看一看蝙蝠回声定位这一极不寻常的发现，就可以探究一下声音在什么情况下有绝对的实用价值。
7. Annie dreamed an extraordinary dream last night. 安妮昨晚做了个奇特的梦。
8. "It can't be me. Is that possible? How extraordinary," is how he greeted the first sight of himself as the Tramp on the screen. 当他第一次在银幕上看到自己扮演的流浪汉时，他说："这不可能是我。那可能吗？瞧这角色多么与众不同啊！"
9. Perhaps the most extraordinary building of the nineteenth century was the Crystal Palace, which was built in Hyde Park for the Great Exhibition of 1851. 19世纪最不寻常的建筑也许要数水晶宫了，它是为1851年的"世界博览会"而建在海德公园的。
10. Mars has an extraordinary fascination for would-be voyagers. 火星对未来的星际旅客说有着特殊的魅力。