vi.失败,不及格,忘记 vt.使失望,舍弃,辜负,不及格 n.不及格,不及格者
动词过去式:failed 过去分词:failed 现在分词:failing 第三人称单数:fails
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Tn, Tt] ~ (in sth) be unsuccessful in (sth) 在（某事物）中失败
*If you don't work hard, you may fail. 不努力就可能失败.
* I passed in maths but failed in French. 我数学及格, 但法语不及格.
* He failed his driving-test. 他驾驶测验不合格.
* She failed to reach the semi-finals. 她未能进入半决赛.
(b) [Tn] decide that (a candidate) is unsuccessful 评定（应考者）不及格
*The examiners failed half the candidates. 主考者评定半数应试者不及格. Cf 参看 succeed 1.
2 [It] forget, neglect or be unable (to do sth) 忘记、忽视或未能（做某事）
*He never fails to write (ie always writes) to his mother every week. 他每周都给母亲写信.
* She did not fail to keep (ie She did keep) her word. 她没有食言.
* Your promises have failed to (ie did not) materialize. 你没有信守诺言.
3 [I, Tn] not be enough for (sb); end or be lacking while still needed or expected by (sb) 不足; 短少; 缺乏
*The crops failed because of drought. 由于乾旱, 农作物歉收.
* Our water supply has failed (us). 我们的水供应不足.
* Words fail me, ie I cannot find words (to describe my feelings, etc). 我无法用言语来表达（自己的感情等）.
(a) (of health, eyesight, etc) become weak （指健康状况、视力等）衰退
*His eyesight is failing. 他的视力渐渐衰退了.
* He has suffered from failing health/has been failing in health for the last two years. 近两年来, 他的健康状况每况愈下.
(b) stop working properly 失灵; 失去作用
*The brakes failed. 煞车失灵了.
5 [I] become bankrupt 破产; 倒闭
*Several banks failed during the depression. 有几家银行在不景气时期倒闭了.
1 failure in an examination 考试不及格
*I had three passes and one fail. 我考试三门及格一门不及格.
2 (idm 习语) without `fail certainly, even though there may be difficulties; whatever happens; definitely 肯定; 一定; 必定
*I'll be there at two o'clock without fail. 我两点钟一定到那里.
1. Because it was embarrassing to fail every time, he stopped checking the man when he crossed. 一次次检查都找不出什么，这挺令人尴尬的，他也就不再在那司机过境时检查了。
2. When lights fuse, furniture gets rickety, pipes get clogged, or vacuum cleaners fail to operate, 每当电灯保险丝烧断、家具榫头松动、管道堵塞、吸尘器不动时，
3. Would she fail again? 这次它会不会又一次失败？
4. The pirates would often bury gold in the cave and then fail to collect it. 海盗们过去常把金子埋藏在那个洞里，可后来却没能取走。
5. A cloned Albert Einstein might fail his physics class. 克隆出的阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦可能物理课不及格。
6. You´ll fail in French unless you work harder. 你要是不再加把劲儿, 法语就考不及格了.
7. Most of us fail in our efforts at self-improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out. 我们大多数人想自我完善却遭到失败，这是因为我们的规划过于宏大，而又根本没有时间去实施。
8. Cats never fail to fascinate human beings. 猫总能引起人们的极大兴趣。
9. "Poor thing!" cried Bruce, "You, too, know what it is to fail." “可怜的小东西，”布鲁斯失声说。“你也尝到了失败是什么滋味。”
10. In the same way, a Russian might fail to see anything amusing in a joke which would make an Englishman laugh to tears. 同样的道理，一则可以令英国人笑出泪来的笑话，俄国人听了可能觉得没有什么可笑之处。