1 (a) [U] lack of success 失败; 不成功
*Failure in one examination should not stop you trying again. 一次考试不及格不应妨碍你再试一次.
* The enterprise was doomed to failure. 该企业注定要失败.
* All my efforts ended in failure, ie were unsuccessful. 我所有的努力都失败了.
(b) [C] instance of this 失败
*Success came after many failures. 经多次失败後, 终于获得成功.
(c) [C] person, attempt or thing that fails 失败的人、尝试或事物
*He was a failure as a teacher. 他当过教师, 却不称职.
* Our new radio is an utter failure. 我们的新收音机完全是个废物.
2 (a) [U] state of being inadequate; not functioning as is expected or required 不足; 缺乏; 失灵; 故障
*a case of heart failure 心力衰竭的患者
* Failure of crops often results in famine. 歉收常引起饥荒.
(b) [C] instance of this 不足; 缺乏; 失灵; 故障
*`engine failures 发动机故障
* another crop failure 农作物又一次歉收.
3 (a) [U] ~ to do sth neglecting or forgetting to do sth 忽略或忘记做某事
*failure to comply with the regulations 未遵守规则.
(b) [C] ~ to do sth instance of this 忽略; 忘记
*repeated failures to appear in court 多次未出庭.
1【lack of success】2【unsuccessful person/thing】3 failure to do something4【business】5【machine/body part】6【crops】
【LACK OF SUCCESS】 [U and C]
a lack of success in achieving or doing something
≠ success Winston is not someone who accepts failure easily.failure to do sth the conference's failure to reach an agreementend/result in failure Harry's plans ended in failure.【UNSUCCESSFUL PERSON/THING】[C]
someone or something that is not successful
≠ success I always felt a bit of a failure at school.a total/complete failure The advertising campaign was a total failure.failure to do sth
an act of not doing something which should be done or which people expect you to do Failure to produce proof of identity could result in prosecution.【BUSINESS】 [U and C]
a situation in which a business has to close because of a lack of money Business failures in Scotland rose 10% last year.【MACHINE/BODY PART】 [U and C]
an occasion when a machine or part of your body stops working properly The cause of the crash was engine failure.heart/kidney/liver etc failure He died from kidney failure.failure in a failure in the computer system【CROPS】 [U and C]
an occasion when crops do not grow or produce food, for example because of bad weather a series of crop failures
1. The enterprise was doomed to failure. 该企业注定要失败.
2. The failure was caused by bad management. 这种挫折是经营不善所致.
3. The salvage operation had been a complete failure. 打捞工作彻底失败了。
4. The salvage operation had been a complete failure. 打捞工作彻底失败了。
5. He ascribed his failure to bad luck. 他把失败归咎於运气不好.
6. He imputed the failure of his marriage to his wife´s shortcomings. 他把婚姻的失败归咎於妻子的缺点.
7. Her explanations for failure to do the work were voluble but not easily believed. 她对工作失败的解释口若悬河，但不易为人相信。
8. Another newspaper reported a major security failure last year. 另一家报纸报道了去年的一次重大安全事故。
9. According to the doctor, any attempt to play by the medical world's rules of research has been a failure. 据这位医生说，任何企图玩弄医学研究规律的做法都是徒劳的。
10. I could not stand the humiliation of failure. 我无法忍受失败的耻辱。