n.昏晕,昏倒 adj.虚落地,衰弱的,软弱的,无力的,微弱的,暗淡的,模糊的 vi.昏晕,昏倒,变得微弱,变得没气力
副词:faintly 名词:fainter 形容词比较级:fainter 最高级:faintest 动词过去式:fainted 过去分词:fainted 现在分词:fainting 第三人称单数:faints
adj (-er, -est)
1 that cannot be clearly perceived by the senses; indistinct; not intense in colour or sound or smell 微弱的; 模糊的; 暗淡的; 隐约的
*The sounds of music grew fainter in the distance. 音乐的声音在远处逐渐模糊了.
* Only faint traces of the tiger's tracks could be seen. 老虎的踪迹仅依稀可见.
2 (of ideas, etc) weak; vague （指想法等）模糊的, 不明确的
*There is a faint hope that she may be cured. 她获治愈的希望渺茫.
3 (a) (of physical abilities) lacking strength （指体力）无力的, 虚弱的
*in a faint voice 以有气无力的声音
* His breathing became faint. 他的呼吸变得微弱了.
(b) [pred 作表语] (of people) likely to lose consciousness; giddy （指人）易失去知觉; 昏眩
*She looks/feels faint. 她看来[感到]快要晕倒了.
(c) [pred 作表语] (of people) weak; exhausted （指人）无力, 精疲力竭
*The explorers were faint from hunger and cold. 探险者们因饥寒交迫而委顿不堪.
4 (of actions, etc) weak; unlikely to have much effect （指动作等）无力的, 似无甚效果的
*a faint show of resistance 软弱无力装装样子 的抵抗
* make a faint attempt to do sth 未尽全力尝试做某事.
5 (idm 习语) damn sb/sth with faint praise => damn1. not have the `faintest/`foggiest (idea) (infml 口) not know at all 根本不知道
*`Do you know where she is?' `Sorry, I haven't the faintest.' ｀你知道她在哪里吗?＇｀对不起, 我一点也不知道.＇
v [I, Ipr] lose consciousness (because of heat, shock, loss of blood, etc) （因受热、受惊、失血等）失去知觉; 昏倒
*He fainted (from hunger). 他（饿得）昏倒了.
1 [sing] act or state of fainting 昏厥; 不省人事.
2 (idm 习语) in a (dead) faint (completely) unconscious （完全）失去知觉
*She fell to the ground in a dead faint. 她昏倒在地, 全然不省人事.
1. Without warning, her shallow breathing stops, and within a few moments, the faint pulse is also gone. 没有一点先兆，她那细弱的呼吸就停止了。几秒钟后，微弱的脉搏也消失了。
2. The darkness waned and a faint auroral glow began to appear in the east. 黑暗接近尾声，而一道微弱的曙光开始从东方出现。
3. The noise had been so faint that no one thought that the ship had been damaged. 由于这个声音非常轻，没人会想到船身已遭损坏。
4. They are ice cold, and I quickly move to the wrist and feel for the faint pulse. 冰凉冰凉的。我忙将手移到她的手腕，感觉那微弱的脉搏。
5. His grandmother fell in a dead faint. 他的祖母昏倒了。
6. Suddenly there came the faint sound of a bell. 突然，传来了微弱的铃声，
7. Pretending to faint was merely (an) artifice. 假装昏迷只不过是个诡计.