1 in a fair manner; honestly 公平地; 公正地; 诚实地
*You're not treating us fairly. 你对我们不公正.
2 (before adjs and advs 用于形容词和副词之前) to a certain extent; moderately 相当地; 适度地
*This is a fairly easy book. 这是相当浅易的书.
* We must leave fairly soon, ie before very long. 我们得快些离开.
3 completely; actually 完全地; 简直
*Her suggestion fairly took me by surprise. 她的建议真叫我大吃一惊.
* I fairly jumped for joy. 我简直高兴得跳了起来.
* The time fairly raced by. 时间过得真快.
4 (idm 习语) fairly and squarely = fair and square (fair2).
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*The adverbs fairly, quite, rather and pretty can all mean `moderately', `to some extent' or `not very' and are used to alter the strength of adjectives and adverbs. *fairly、quite、rather、pretty这几个副词均可表示｀适度地＇、｀在某种程度上＇或｀不很＇的意思, 常用以改变所修饰的形容词或副词的分量. Fairly is the weakest and pretty the strongest and most informal, but their effect is very much influenced by intonation. *fairly词义最弱而pretty词义最强, 也最通俗, 但词义的强弱受语调的影响很大. Generally, the more any of these adverbs is stressed, the more negative the sentence sounds. 一般说来, 这类副词读得越重, 句子听起来否定含义就越强.
1 When rather or pretty is used with a positive quality, it can sound enthusiastic *rather或pretty与褒义词连用时, 听起来心情愉快
*a rather/pretty good play 一出相 当好的戏. With a negative or variable quality they express disapproval 这两个词与贬义词或可褒可贬的词连用时, 表示不赞成或不满意
*rather/pretty poor work 相当差的工作
* I'm rather/pretty warm. 我很热.
* It's rather/pretty small/big. 这可太小[大]了.
2 Fairly is mostly used with positive qualities *fairly多与褒义词连用
*fairly tidy, spacious, friendly, etc 挺整洁、宽敞、热情等 (compare 试比较
*rather untidy, cramped, unfriendly, etc 很零乱、狭窄、冷淡等).
3 Only rather can be used with comparative expressions and too 只有rather可与比较级的词语和too连用
*The house is rather bigger than we thought. 这所房子比我们想的大得多.
* These shoes are rather too small. 这双鞋未免太小了.
4 Rather and quite can precede the indefinite article when followed by an adjective + noun *rather和quite与｀不定冠词+形容词+名词＇连用时, 可置于不定冠词之前
*rather/quite a nice day 十分晴朗的一天
* a rather/quite/fairly/pretty nice day 十分晴朗的一天. See also note on usage at quite 另见所附用法.
adv [+ adjective/adverb]
more than a little, but much less than very
→quite The house had a fairly large garden. She speaks English fairly well. The instructions seem fairly straightforward.see usage noterather
in a way that is fair, honest, and reasonable I felt I hadn't been treated fairly.BrE old-fashioned
used to emphasize the degree, force etc of an action He fairly raced past us on his bike.
1. There would be windows, of course, but they might be fairly expensive; besides, most people wouldn´t feel the need for them provided there were suitable interior decorations. 当然窗子还是有的，但可能相当贵。何况，假如有合适的内部装饰，大部分人就会觉得不需要窗子。
2. The room, which was fairly big, was furnished with large chairs and a round table with a green baize cover. 房间相当大，里面装备着很多大椅子和一张覆盖着绿色台面呢的大圆桌。
3. They also admit they often make snap judgments and find them to be fairly sound. 但他们也承认他们常常会作出快速判断，并且发现这些判断是相当合理的。
4. He can fairly claim to have more. 他可以正当地要求多给些。
5. Albert was, for one thing, fat. Very fat. And then there was his accent. Though he spoke French and German fairly well, he had never altogether lost the American accent he had brought to Paris twenty years ago. 一来艾伯特很胖，非常胖；二来他带有口音。他的法语和德语都说得很好，但从来没有完全改掉他20年前初到巴黎时的美国口音。
6. You should treat him fairly. 你们应该公正地对待他。
7. On motorways you can, at least, travel fairly safely at high speeds, 在公路上还好，你至少能以相当快的速度安全地向前行。
8. One fairly common reason is that parents spoil their children out of a sense of guilt. 一个颇为常见的原因就是父母亲们是出于内疚感而溺爱孩子的。
9. It is fairly clear that the sleeping period must have some function, 很清楚，睡眠必然具有某种作用。
10. In spite of this, many people are confident that ´The Revealer´ may reveal something of value fairly soon. 尽管如此，很多人仍然相信"探宝器"很快就会探出值钱的东西来。