形容词比较级:falser 最高级:falsest 名词:falseness 副词:falsely
1 wrong; incorrect 错误的; 不正确的
*sing a false note 唱错音符
* `A whale is a fish. True or false?' ｀鲸鱼是一种鱼. 对还是错?＇
2 (a) not genuine; artificial 假的; 人造的
*false hair, teeth, etc 假发、假牙.
(b) sham; pretended 冒充的; 假装的
*false modesty 假谦虚
* false tears 虚伪的眼泪.
(c) [usu attrib 通常作定语] misleading; not what it appears 引起误会的; 与外观不符的
*a false sense of security, ie feeling safe when one is really in danger 虚假的安全感
* false economy 不合算的节约
* give a false impression of great wealth 给人造成很富有的假像
* hounds following a false scent 沿着误入歧途的臭迹追踪的猎狗.
(d) deliberately made incorrect in order to deceive 弄虚作假的; 伪造的
*false weights, scales, dice, etc 假的砝码、天平、色子等
* a false passport 假护照
* a false bottom, ie the disguisedbottom of a suitcase, etc concealing a secret compartment（手提箱等秘密藏物用的）假底.
3 deliberately meant to deceive; lying 有意欺骗的; 不诚实的; 虚妄的
*false evidence 伪证
* present false claims to an insurance company 向保险公司提出伪造的索赔要求.
4 ~ (to sb) unfaithful; disloyal 不忠实的; 无信义的
*a false friend/lover 不忠实的朋友[情人].
5 [attrib 作定语] inaccurately named 命名不准确的
*the false acacia, ie not really an acacia tree, despite its name 刺槐（非真正的金合欢树）.
6 (idm 习语) a false a`larm warning or panic about sth which does not happen 虚假的警报; 虚惊
*The rumours of a petrol shortage turned out to be a false alarm. 汽油短缺的谣传原来是一场虚惊. (make) a false `move unwise or forbidden action that may have unpleasant consequences （可能带来不良後果的）不明智的或不允许的行为
*`One false move and you're a dead man,' snarled the robber. 那强盗厉声叫道
*｀不许动, 不然就打死你.＇ (make) a false `start
(a) (in athletics) start made before the signal (eg for a race) has been given （运动中）抢在信号令前行动（如赛跑中的抢跑）.
(b) unsuccessful beginning 不顺利的开端
*After several false starts, she became a successful journalist. 她开始时遇到几次挫折, 後来才成为能干的记者. (take) a false `step (make) a wrong move or action 失足; 失策
*A false step could have cost the climbers their lives. 爬山者一失足就会丧命. in a false po`sition in circumstances which result in sb being misunderstood or acting against his principles 处于被人误解的地位; 处于违背自己的原则的境地. on/under false pre`tences pretending to be sb else or to have certain qualifications, etc in order to deceive 冒充某人或冒充有某资格以行骗
*obtaining money on false pretences 以诈骗手段骗钱. strike/sound a false `note say or do the wrong thing 说错话[做错事]
*He struck a false note when he arrived for the wedding in old clothes. 他做错了一件事, 不该穿旧衣服去参加婚礼. (sail) under false `colours
(a) (of a ship) displaying a flag which it has no right to use （指船）挂着伪旗（航行）.
(b) pretending or appearing to be different from what one really is 冒充的; 披着伪装骗人的.
adv (idm 习语) play sb `false deceive or cheat sb 欺骗某人.
1【untrue】2【wrong】3【not real】4【not sincere】5 false economy6 under false pretences7 false move/step8 false imprisonment/arrest
900-1000; Language: Latin;Origin:
falsus, from fallere 'to deceive'
a statement, story etc that is false is completely untrue Please decide whether the following statements are true or false. false accusations【WRONG】
based on incorrect information or ideas I don't want to give you any false hopes . The statement gives us a false impression that we understand something when we do not. We often make false assumptions about people of other cultures. a false sense of security (=a feeling of being safe when you are not really safe)【NOT REAL】a)
not real, but intended to seem real and deceive people The drugs were hidden in a suitcase with a false bottom. The man had given a false name and address.b)
artificialfalse teeth/hair/eyelashes etc【NOT SINCERE】
not sincere or honest, and pretending to have feelings that you do not really have She's so false. a false laugh 'You played brilliantly.' 'Not really,' Ian replied with false modesty .false economy
something that you think will save you money but which will really cost you more It's a false economy not to have travel insurance.under false pretences
if you get something under false pretences, you get it by deceiving people He was accused of obtaining money under false pretences.false move/step
a small movement or action that will result in harm One false move and you're dead.false imprisonment/arrest
the illegal act of putting someone in prison or arresting
them for a crime they have not committed
1. This will lull them into a false sense of security. 这会使他们产生一种虚假的安全感。
2. To further prepare myself, I offered readings to friends, including a scientist who makes a career of proving popular beliefs to be false. 为了准备充分些，我还主动为朋友们解读牌运，包括为一位科学家，他的职业就是证实一些流行观点的谬误。
3. He was decoyed by a false message (into entering enemy territory). 他被假情报诱骗（进入敌区）.
4. Have you had a false tooth inserted? 你镶上假牙了吗?
5. A whale is a fish. True or false? 鲸鱼是一种鱼. 对还是错?
6. And most of all, he bought the run-down Gordon Arms Hotel and totally restored it, transforming it from a mess into a glorious first-class hotel with 30 handsomely furnished rooms, wood-paneled stairs, false bookshelves with fake leather books and an 而最主要的，是他将年久失修的戈登·阿姆斯旅馆买下并完全改装，将这堆废墟变成了一座富丽堂皇的一流宾馆，内有30间装修华丽的房间，木质镶嵌的楼梯，摆满了人造皮革装订的书籍的书架，和一间高级餐厅。
7. Smiling does not mean you have to put on a false face or pretend you are happy all of the time. 微笑并不意味着你必须戴上一副假面具，或是假装一直都挺快乐。
8. Parents sometimes weaken the process by taking the forms and filling in false and wishful data about their children's habits, especially on the smoking question. 有时家长会拿走表格，填入不真实的、一厢情愿的数据来反映他们孩子的习惯，特别是在吸烟问题上，这就削弱了这种做法的作用。
9. His very concepts of the true and the false will still have reference to his particular traditional customs. 人们关于真与伪的概念依然和特定的传统风俗有关。
10. I have false teeth. 我镶了假牙。