/'fɪgə(r); [US] 'fɪgjər; `fɪˇjɚ/
(a) written symbol for a number, esp
*Write the figure `7' for me. 给我写个｀7＇字.
* He has an income of six figures/a six-figure income, ie
100000 or more. 他有六位数字的收入（至少为100000英镑）.
(b) (usu sing 通常作单数) sum of money; price 金额; 价格
*We bought the house at a high/low figure, ie for a high/low price. 我们以高[低]价买下了那所房子.
(a) diagram or illustration 图解; 图表
*The figure on page
22 shows a political map of Africa. 第22页的插图是非洲的政区图.
(b) geometrical shape enclosed by lines or surfaces 几何图形.
3 [C] decorative pattern or series of movements 装饰性的图案或系列动作
*The skater executed a perfect set of figures. 那个滑冰的人做出了一套完美的花样动作.
* [attrib 作定语] figure-skating 花样滑冰.
4 [C] representation of a person or an animal in drawing, painting, etc （绘画等中的）人或动物的像, 画像, 肖像
*The central figure in the painting is the artist's daughter. 画中间的那个人是画家的女儿.
5 [C] human form, esp its appearance, what it suggests, and how it is seen by others 身材; （尤指）体态, 相貌
*have a good figure, ie be slim, shapely, etc 身材苗条
* I'm dieting to keep my figure, ie in order not to get fatter. 我正在节食以保持身材不变（不发胖）.
* I saw a figure approaching in the darkness. 我看见黑暗中有个人影走近.
* He was once a leading figure in the community, but now he has become a figure of fun, ie His influence was considerable but now he appears merely ridiculous. 他原是该社区的头面人物, 但现在成了人们取笑的对象.
* She's a fine figure of a woman, ie pleasing in shape and appearance. 她身材苗条.
6 figures [pl] arithmetic 算术
*Are you good at figures? 你的算术好吗?
7 (idm 习语) cut a fine, poor, sorry, etc `figure have a fine, etc appearance 出众、出丑、出洋相等. facts and figures => fact. put a figure on sth quote a price or specify a number for sth 报价; 确定某物的数量
*It's impossible to put a figure on the number of homeless after the flood. 水灾过後无家可归的人不计其数. in round figures/numbers => round1. single figures => single.
/'fɪgə(r); [US] 'fɪgjər; `fɪˇjɚ/ v
1 [I, Ipr] ~ (in sth) appear or be mentioned, esp prominently 出现或被提及（尤指引人注目的）
*a character that figures in many of her novels 在她多部小说中出现的一个人物
* She figured conspicuously in the public debate on the issue. 她在该问题的公开辩论中很引人注目.
2 (a) [Tn, Tf] (esp US) think (sth); calculate 想（某事物）; 估计
*I figured (that) you wouldn't come. 我料想你不会来.
* It's what I figured. 我是这样认为的.
(b) [I] (used with itor that 与it或that连用) (infml 口) be likely orunderstandable 有可能; 可以理解
*`John isn't here today.'`That figures, he looked very unwell yesterday.' ｀约翰今天没来.＇｀怪不得, 他昨天就好像不太舒服.＇
3 (phr v) figure sth in (US) include sth in one's calculations 将某事物包括在内; 计算在内
*Have you figured in the cost of food for our holiday? 你把咱们度假的食物费用计算进去了吗? figure on sth (US) include sth in one's plans; rely on sth 计画; 指望
*I figure on being in New York in January. 我计画一月份在纽约. figure sb/sth out (esp US)
(a) come to understand sb/sth by thinking 理解某人[某事物]; 弄明白
*I've never been able to figure him out. 我一直不能理解他.
* I can't figure out why he quit his job. 我琢磨不透他为什么要辞掉工作.* Have you figured out what's wrong with your car?你找出你汽车的毛病了吗?
(b) discover sth by using arithmetic; calculate sth 演算出; 计算出
*Have you figured out how much the holiday will cost? 你算出假期得花多少钱了吗?
1. Write the figure `7´ for me. 给我写个‘7’字.
2. When one seriously studies the social orders that have had the opportunity to develop autonomously, the figure becomes no more than an exact and matter-of-fact observation. 当一个人认真地研究自发形成的社会秩序时，杜威的比喻就是他实事求是观察得来的形象化的说法。
3. We argue with ourselves over who is the greater sportsman: that figure skater or this skier. 我们跟自己争论那个花样滑冰选手和这个滑雪运动员到底谁更了不起。
4. The sorry-looking, blackened figure that emerged, admitted that he had tried to break into a shop during the night. 那个满脸愁容、浑身漆黑的家伙立刻承认，他企图在夜里闯进商店．
5. This is a three-dimensional figure. 这是一个三维图形。
6. The secretary´s beautiful figure and suave manners made the office bright. 秘书美丽的身材及文雅的态度，使得办公室为之一亮。
7. The sorry-looking, blackened figure that emerged, admitted at once that he had tried to break into the shop during the night but had got stuck in the chimney. 那个看来满脸沮丧、浑身漆黑的家伙从烟囱里一出来，就承认头天夜里他企图到店里行窍，但让烟囱卡住了。
8. This figure rises to a staggering 60% of men in their sixties. 而到60岁这个年龄段，这个数字上升到令人惊愕的60%。
9. They also found something which the X-ray plates did not show: a small wax figure of the god Duamutef. 他们还发现了X光片所没有显示的东西：一个蜡制的杜瓦木特夫神小塑像。
10. The actual figure was made of copper supported by a metal framework which had been especially constructed by Eiffel. 这座雕像的主体是用铜制成的，由艾菲尔特制的金属框架支撑着。