1 [attrib 作定语] of the end; coming last 最终的; 最後的
*the final chapter of a book 书的最後一章.
2 [usu pred 通常作表语] (of a decision, etc) conclusive; decisive; that cannot be changed （指决定等）确定, 决定性, 不可变更
*The judge's ruling is final. 法官的判决是不可改变的.
* I'm not coming, and that'sfinal! 我不来了, 就这样定了!
3 (idm 习语) in the last/final analysis => analysis. the last/final straw => straw.
1 (a) last of a series of contests or competitions 决赛
*the tennis finals 网球决赛
* the Cup Final, ie the last in a series of esp football matches 优胜杯决赛（尤指足球）.
(b) (usu pl 通常作复数) last set of university examinations 大学的毕业考试
*sit/take one's finals 参加大学毕业考试
* the law final(s) 法律专业的毕业考试.
2 last edition of a day's newspaper （当天报纸的）最後发行的一版
*late night final 晚间最後版.
1. Tokyo was our final destination. 东京是我们的最终目的地.
2. There were eight runners in the final race of the day. 那天参加赛跑决赛的有八名选手。
3. The shopkeeper gave his store a final checkup before closing for the night. 店主在晚上打烊前对商店作了最后检查。
4. The curtain went up on the final act of the play and revealed the aristocrat sitting alone behind bars in his dark cell. 大幕拉开，最后一幕戏开演，贵族独自一人坐在铁窗后阴暗的牢房里。
5. The reader´s hair stands on end when he reads in the final pages of the novel that the heroine, a dear old lady who had always been so kind to everybody, had, in her youth, poisoned every one of her five husbands. 当读者到小说最后几页了解到书中女主人公，那位一向待大家很好的可爱的老妇人年轻时一连毒死了她的5个丈夫时，不禁会毛骨悚然。
6. The guests had, of course, realized this from the moment Bessie opened the door for them and, long before the final catastrophe, had had a difficult time trying to conceal their amusement. 客人们自然从贝西为他们开门那一刻起就看出来了，在好长一段时间里，即最后这个乱子发生前，他们努力克制才没笑出声来。
7. This was final. 这是最终的结果。
8. One with supportive parents, one with stimulating parents, one whose parents combined both qualities and a final group who offered neither. 一组儿童的家长是支持型的，一组是激励型的，一组是支持激励相结合的，最后一组儿童的家长既不支持也不激励。
9. He would take that to East 180th Street where he nearly always has a long wait for his final train, to Pelham Parkway (帕尔汉大道). 在东180街下车；在这里，他几乎总要花很长时间等他的最后一趟车到帕尔汉大道。
10. At the end of each semester, as long as the students pass final exams, American authorities grant a certificate, which is recognized in Brazil. 在每个学期结束时，只要这些学生能通过期末考试，美国当局就会向他们颁发证书，巴西是承认这种证书的。