n.火,炉火,火灾,失火,闪光,炮火,热情,激情 vt.点燃,烧制,使发光,给(炉子等)加燃料,放枪,激动,<口>解雇 vi.开枪,射击,着火,烧火,激动
名词:firer 动词过去式:fired 过去分词:fired 现在分词:firing 第三人称单数:fires 形容词:fireable
1 [U] burning that produces light and heat 火; 火焰; 燃烧
*man's discovery of fire 人类对火的发现.
2 (a) [U] destructive burning 火灾; 失火
*Have you insured your house against fire? 你的房子保火险了没有?
(b) [C] instance of this 火灾; 失火
*forest fires 森林火灾
* a fire in the warehouse 仓库失火.
3 (a) [C] burning fuel in a grate, furnace, etc for cooking food or heating a room 炉火
*make/build a fire 生火
* lay a fire, ie put paper, wood, etc together for a fire, usu in a grate 准备生火
* a blazing/roaring fire 炽烈的[熊熊的]火.
(b) [C] apparatus for heating rooms, etc 取暖装置
*a gas/electric fire 煤气[电]暖炉. Cf 参看 heater (heat2), stove 2.
4 [U] shooting from guns 开火（枪炮的射击）
*The soldiers kept up a steady fire. 士兵们不停地射击.
* return sb's fire, ie shoot back at sb 用枪炮向某人还击.
5 [U] strong emotion; angry or excited feeling; enthusiasm 激情; 愤怒或激动的感情; 热情
*His speech lacked fire, ie was uninspiring. 他的讲话缺乏热情.
6 (idm 习语) a ball of fire => ball1. a baptism of fire => baptism. between two `fires being shot at from two directions 腹背受敌（受到两面夹攻）. catch fire => catch1. draw sb's fire => draw2. the fat is in the fire => fat2. ,fire and `brimstone torture suffered in Hell as a result of God's anger 因触怒上帝在地狱中遭受的煎熬
*(fig 比喻) She was breathing fire and brimstone, ie was furiously angry. 她火冒三丈. ,fire and `sword (fml 文) burning and killing, esp in war 杀人放火（尤指于战争中）. get on like a house on fire => house1. go through ,fire and `water (for sb/sth) endure great hardship and danger (for sb/sth) （为某人[某事物]）冒极大危险及忍受巨大苦难, 赴汤蹈火. hang fire => hang1. have, etc many irons in the fire => iron1. heap coals of fire on sb's head => heapv. hold one's `fire stop shooting (for a period of time) 停止射击（一段时间） make up a `fire add wood, coal, etc to a fire to make it burn more strongly 在火上加木柴、煤等使其燃烧更旺. no smoke without fire => smoke1. on `fire
(a) burning 燃烧
*The house is on fire! 房子着火了!
(b) (fig 比喻) burning with emotion, passion or sensation 感情激动的; 激情冲动的. open fire => open2. out of the frying-pan into the fire => frying-pan (fry1). play with `fire take foolish anddangerous risks 玩火（进行愚蠢的冒险）. set fire to sth/set sth on fire cause sth to start burning 使某物开始燃烧; 放火. (not/never) set the `Thames/ temz; tZmz/on fire (not) do sth remarkable （不）做惊人之举
*He's a good student, but he won't ever set the Thames on fire. 他是好学生, 但也绝成不了大器. set the world on fire => world. under `fire
(a) being shot at 遭到射击
*come under intense fire 受到枪炮猛烈攻击.
(b) (fig 比喻) being criticized severely 受到严厉批评
*The government is under fire from all sides on its economic policy. 政府在经济政策上受到各方的严厉批评.
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sth) (at sb/sth); ~ (sth) into sth shoot with a gun (at sb/sth); shoot (a bullet) from a gun; shoot a bullet from (a gun) 用枪炮（向某人[某物]）射击; 从枪中射出（子弹）; 从（枪）中射出子弹
*`Fire!' ordered the captain. ｀开火!＇上尉命令道.
* The officer ordered his men to fire (at the enemy). 军官命令士兵（向敌人）射击.
* The police fired (several rubber bullets) into the crowd. 警察向人群射击（数发橡皮子弹）.
* This weapon fires anti-aircraft missiles. 这种武器是发射防空导弹的.
* He fired several shots (at the target). 他向目标射出了几发子弹.
* fire (a pistol) into the air （用手枪）向天空开枪
* fire a 21-gun salute, ie fire
21 shots from guns into the air as a sign of respect in a ceremony 鸣放21响礼炮.
2 [Tn.pr] ~ sth at sb address (words) in quick succession at sb 对某人急速地连续说（话）
*fire insults, questions, ideas, etc at sb 对某人像发连珠炮似的说侮辱的话、提出问题、看法等.
3 [Tn] (infml 口) dismiss (an employee) from a job 解雇, 开除（雇员）
*He was fired for stealing money from the till. 他因从柜台抽屉偷钱而遭解雇.
4 [Tn] ignite or set fire to (sth) with the aim of destroying it （为焚毁）点火或纵火烧（某物）
*fire a haystack 点燃草堆.
5 [I] (of the explosive mixture in an engine) ignite （指发动机内的可燃气体混合物）点火; 发动
*The engine will not fire. 这发动机发动不起来.
* The engine is only firing on three cylinders. 这发动机只有三个汽缸工作.
6 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb with sth; ~ sb into sth/doing sth stimulate (the imagination); fill sb with (a strong emotion); inspire or excite sb to do sth 激发（想像力）; 使某人充满（激情）; 鼓励或鼓动某人做某事物
*Adventure stories fired his imagination. 冒险小说激发起他的想像力.
* fire sb with enthusiasm, longing, desire, etc 以热情、渴望、欲望等激励某人
* The party leader's rousing speech fired the members into action. 该党领袖令人振奋的讲话激发了党员行动起来.
7 [Tn] heat (an object made of clay) in an oven in order to harden and strengthen it （在 内）烧制（陶瓷制品）
*fire pottery, bricks, etc in a kiln 在 内烧陶瓷、砖瓦等.
8 (idm 习语) working/firing on all cylinders => cylinder.
9 (phr v) fire away (usu as a command 通常作命令语) (infml 口) begin asking questions; begin to speak 开始问问题; 开始说话
*`I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask you.' `Right, fire away.' ｀我有几个问题想问你.＇｀好, 你说吧.＇ fire sth off shoot (a bullet) from a gun 从枪中射出（子弹）
*fire off a few rounds, all one's ammunition, etc 射出几发子弹、所有的弹药等.
1. Where´s the fire alarm? 火警的警铃在哪里?
2. What was the cause of the fire? 火灾是怎样引起的?
3. When it did so, it sent sparks down to the ground and these immediately started a fire. 当它这样做时，把火花送到了地面，这些火花立刻引起了一场大火。
4. When the fire had at last been put out, the forest authorities ordered several tons of a special type of grass-seed which would grow quickly. 在大火最后被扑灭后，森林管理当局订购了好几吨一种生长迅速的特殊类型的草籽。
5. Why, if little Hans comes here, and sees our warm fire, and our good supper, and our red wine, he will envy us, and envy is a terrible thing. 哎，如果小汉斯到咱家来，看到咱们温暖的火炉，丰盛的晚餐，还
6. Widowed now, the wife wonders what she would save from their old home if it were to catch fire: 如今妻子已成了寡妇，可她依然在想，如果房子着了火，她该从这旧房子里抢些什么出来呢？
7. The soldiers lay in ambush, waiting for the signal to open fire. 士兵布下伏兵，等待开火的信号。
8. The sun looks like a big ball of fire. 太阳看起来象个大火球。
9. The fire brigade put out the blaze. 消防队扑灭了火。
10. The boys clustered together round the fire and sang songs. 男孩们成群地围着火堆唱歌.