adj (-tter, -ttest)
1 [usu pred 通常作表语] ~ for sb/sth; ~ to do sth suitable or suited for sb/sth; well adapted for sb/sth; good enough for sb/sth 对某人[某事物]适宜; 合适; 适当
*a land fit for heroes to live in 适合英雄生活的国土
* The food was not fit for human consumption/not fit to eat, ie was too bad to be eaten. 这食物不适宜人吃.
2 [usu pred 通常作表语] ~ to do sth (infml 口) in such a condition as to be likely or ready to do or suffer sth specified 可能或准备做某事物; 可能或准备受罪
*They worked till they were fit to drop, ie likely to collapse from exhaustion. 他们一直工作到快要累垮了.
* He's so angry that he's in no fit state to see anyone. 他气成那个样子, 简直无法见人.
* (used as an adv after a v and to + infinitive 用作副词, 在动词 及to+不定式之後) He laughed fit to burst. 他要笑破肚子了.
* His shouting was fit (ie loud enough) to wake the dead. 他大喊大叫都要把死人吵醒了.
3 ~ (for sth/to do sth) in good health, esp because of regular physical exercise 健康的（尤指因经常锻炼）
*World-class athletes are extremely fit. 具有国际水平的运动员体格非常好.
* He's been ill and isn't fit for work yet. 他一直在生病, 尚不能工作.
* He keeps himself fit by running
5 miles every day. 他每天跑5英里以保持身体健康.
* fighting fit, ie in very good physical condition and ready for energetic action 健壮而精力充沛. => Usage at healthy用法见healthy.
4 (fml 文) suitable and right, usu according to accepted social standards 恰当的; 正当的; 得体的
*As George introduced Peter and Sarah it is only fit (and proper) that he should be best man at their wedding. 因是乔治介绍彼得与萨拉相识的, 由他来作他们婚礼的男傧相是最合适的.
5 (idm 习语) (as) ,fit as a ,fiddle in very good physical condition 非常健康
*I felt as fit as a fiddle after my walking holiday. 我经过假期徒步旅行, 身体极好. see/think `fit (to do sth) consider it correct, convenient or acceptable (to do sth); decide or choose 认为（做某事）为正当的、适宜的或得体的; 决定; 愿意
*The newspaper did not see fit to publish my letter. 该报认为不宜发表我的信.
* Do as you think fit. 你认为怎么做好就怎么做吧.
v (-tt-, pt, pp fitted; US also fit)
1 (a) [I, Tn] be the right shape and size for (sb) 形状及大小对（某人）合适; 合身
*These shoes don't fit (me). 这双鞋（我）穿着不合适.
* Her coat fits (her) exactly. 她的大衣很合身.
* I can never get clothes to fit me. 我总也买不到合身的衣服.
* a close-fitting dress 紧身连衣裙
* The key doesn't fit the lock. 这把钥匙打不开这把锁.
(b) [Tn.pr esp passive 尤用于被动语态] ~ sb for sth try (clothing) on sb in order to adjust it to the right size and shape 试穿（衣服）
*He went to the tailor's to be fitted for a coat. 他去裁缝店试穿大衣.
2 (a) [Ipr, Ip] be of the right size to go somewhere 大小适合装入某处
*The cooker won't fit in/into your new kitchen. 你的新厨房装不下这套炉具.
* The mask fitted tightly over his face. 他用面具把脸蒙得严严的.
* a tightly-fitting mask 严实的面具
* The lift was so small that only three people could fit in. 电梯很小, 只容得下三个人.
(b) [Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth into sth/in find or have sufficient space or room for sth in a place 找到或尚有足够的地方容纳某物
*We can't fit any more chairs into the room. 房间里没有地方多放椅子了.
* This card just fits nicely into that envelope. 这张卡片正好能装进那个信封里.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ A (on/to B); ~ B with A supply sth and fix or put it into place 安装或装置某物
*fit handles on the cupboards/fit the cupboards with handles 给柜橱安装把手
* The room was fitted with a new carpet. 房间里铺上了新地毯.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ A (onto/to B); ~ A and B together join one thing to another to make a whole 将一物装到另一物上
*fit the tail assembly to the fuselage 把装配好的机尾安装到机身上
* fit the pieces of a model kit together 把模型的各个部件组装在一起.
5 [I, Tn] be in agreement with (sth); match or suit 与（某事物）相符; 相称; 相协调
*Something doesn't quite fit here. 这里有些不太协调.
* All the facts certainly fit your theory. 所有的事实都和你的说法相符.
* The punishment ought to fitthe crime. 罚需当罪.
6 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.t] ~ sb/oneself/sth for sth make sb/oneself/sth suitable for a particular role or task 使某人[自己]胜任某职位或任务; 使某物适合某用途
*Am I really fitted for the role of director? 我真能胜任董事一职吗?
* His experience fitted him for the job/to do the job. 他有经验, 能胜任这项工作.
7 (idm 习语) fill/fit the bill => bill1. fit (sb) like a `glove
(a) fit the wearer perfectly in size or shape 某人穿着非常合身
*My dress fits (me) like a glove. 我的连衣裙非常合身.
(b) be very suitable and accurate 合适而准确; 恰如其分
*`Cautious' is a description that certainly fits the new president like a glove. 用｀谨小慎微＇来形容新会长很恰当. if the cap fits => cap.
8 (phr v) fit sb/sth in; fit sb/sth in/into sth succeed in finding time to see sb or to do sth 找到见某人或做某事物的时间
*I'll try and fit you in after lunch. 我尽可能在午饭以後见你.
* I had to fit ten appointments into one morning. 我要在一个上午里安排十个约会. fit in (with sb/sth) be a smoothly fitting part (of sth); be in harmony (with sb/sth) 与（某事物）相适应; 与（某人[某事物]）相协调
*He's never done this type of work before; I'm not sure how he'll fit in (with the other employees). 他以前从未做过这种工作, 我不知道他是否能（与其他雇员）配合好.
* Do these plans fit in with your arrangements? 这些计画与你的安排一致吗? fit sb/sth out/up (with sth) supply sb/sth with the necessary equipment, clothes, food, etc; equip 供给某人[某事物]必要的设备、衣物、食品等; 装备
*fit out a ship before a long voyage 为远航的轮船准备必需品
* I'm getting the children fitted out with clothes for their new school. 我在为孩子们准备到新学校去的衣服.
n [sing] (usu with a preceding adj 通常前面有形容词) way in which sth, esp a garment, fits 某物适合的样子; （尤指）合身
*The coat was a good, bad, tight, loose, etc fit. 那件大衣很合身、不合身、很瘦、很宽松等.
1 sudden attack of epilepsy or other disease with violent movements and loss of consciousness （癫痫的）发作; 痉挛; 昏厥
*an epileptic `fit 癫痫发作.
2 sudden (usu short) attack of a minor illness （轻微疾病的）发作（通常为片刻的）
*a fit of coughing 一阵咳嗽
* a `fainting fit 一阵眩晕.
3 sudden burst of (usu uncontrollable) laughter, activity, etc （大笑、活动等的）突然爆发（通常指控制不住的）
*a fit of laughter/(the) giggles 一阵大笑[格格的笑]
* We were all in fits (of laughter) (ie laughing uncontrollably) at his jokes. 他的笑话逗得我们前仰後合.
* a fit of energy, letter writing, spring-cleaning, etc 一股干劲、猛写一阵信、一阵大扫除.
4 short period of an intense feeling （强烈感情的）突发, 冲动
*a fit of anger, rage, frustration, etc 一股怒气、一阵怒火、一阵心烦.
5 (idm 习语) by/in ,fits and `starts in irregular bursts of activity over a period of time 一阵一阵地
*Because of other commitments I can only write my book in fits and starts. 因为我有其他的事要做, 所以这本书只能时写时辍. have/throw a `fit
(a) suffer a fit(1) 癫痫病发作; 痉挛; 昏厥.
(b) (infml 口) be greatly shocked, alarmed, outraged, etc 震惊; 惊恐; 愤怒
*Your mother would have a fit if she knew you were here. 你母亲要是知道你在这里准会非常生气.