名词:flamer 动词过去式:flamed 过去分词:flamed 现在分词:flaming 第三人称单数:flames
flam=flame（火焰），to burn（燃烧） 变化型 flagr
1 [C, U] hot glowing portion of burning gas that comes from something on fire 火焰
*The curtains were enveloped in a sheet of flame. 窗帘被火焰吞没.
* the tiny flame of a cigarette-lighter 打火机小小的火焰
* The house was in flames, ie was on fire, burning. 房子失火了.
* An oil heater was knocked over and burst instantly into flames, ie suddenly began to burn strongly. 油加热器碰倒了, 顿时燃起了一片大火.
* The whole hotel went up in flames (ie was destroyed by fire) in minutes. 整个旅馆几分钟就烧毁了. =>illus at candle 见candle插图.
2 [C] bright light or brilliant colour, usu red or orange 明亮的光线或灿烂的颜色（通常指红色或橙色）
*The flowering shrubs were a scarlet flame. 花丛一片嫣红.
3 [C] (rhet 修辞) intense feeling, esp love 强烈的感情（尤指爱情）
*the flame of passion 激情的烈焰
* A flicker of interest soon turned into the burning flames of desire. 一丝情趣的星星之火未几演成了乾柴烈火.
4 [C] (infml 口) person with whom one was once in love; sweetheart or lover (used esp in the expression shown) 旧情人, 情人, 爱人（尤用于以下示例）
*an old flame 老相好.
5 (idm 习语) add fuel to the flames => add. fan the flames => fan2. pour oil on the flames => pour.
1 [La, I] burn with a brighter flame 燃烧; 发出火焰
*The burning coals started to flame yellow and orange. 燃烧着的煤开始发出了黄色与橙色的火焰.
2 [La, I, Ipr] glow or shine like (the colour of) flames; blaze 似火焰（的颜色）般地闪耀; 放光
*wooded hillsides that flame red in autumn 长满树木的山坡, 在秋季红如火焰
* a flaming sunset 火红的晚霞
* flaming red hair 如火的红发
* His face flamed (with anger/embarrassment). 他（气得[窘得]）面红耳赤.
1. The curtains were enveloped in a sheet of flame. 窗帘被火焰吞没.