n.洪水,水灾,(因雨)涨潮,[诗]水 vt.淹没,使泛滥,注满,充满 vi.被水淹,溢出,涌进,喷出,涌出
动词过去式:flooded 过去分词:flooded 现在分词:flooding 第三人称单数:floods
1 (a) [I, Tn] (cause a place that is usu dry to) be filled or overflow with water; inundate （使通常乾燥的地方）灌满水; 淹没; 泛滥
*The cellar floods whenever it rains heavily. 一下大雨地窖里就灌满了水.
* The river had burst its banks and flooded the valley. 河水冲破堤岸, 淹没了山谷.
(b) [Tn] (of rain) fill (a river, etc) so that it overflows （指雨水）使（河流等）泛滥
*streams flooded by violent storms 因暴风雨而泛滥的河流.
2 [Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sth) (with sth) cover or fill (sth) completely; spread into (sth) 铺满或充满（某物）; 扩展到（某物）
*A powerful light flooded (into) the grounds. 有一道强光照进了庭院.
* The place was flooded with light. 那地方十分光亮.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr]~ sth (with sth) fill (the carburettor of a motor engine) with too much petrol so that the engine will not start 使（汽车发动机的汽化器）溢流.
4 [Ipr, Ip, Tn] (fig 比喻) (of a thought or feeling) flow powerfully over (sb); surge over (sb) （指思想或感情）充溢, 涌现
*A great sense of relief flooded over him. 他深感宽慰.
* Memories of his childhood came flooding back. 他童年的往事涌上心头.
5 (idm 习语) ,flood the `market (cause sth to) be offered for sale in large quantities, often at a low price （使某物）充斥（常指廉价）
*Japanese cars have flooded the American market. 日本汽车已充斥美国市场.
6 (phr v) flood in; flood into sth come to or arrive at (a place) in great quantities or numbers 大量涌入（某处）
*Applications flooded into the office. 申请书像潮水般涌进办公室. flood sb out force sb to leave home because of a flood 大水迫使某人离家
*Half the village were flooded out by a burst water main. 由于总水管破裂, 半数村民被迫离开了家. flood sb/sth with sth arrive in great quantities for sb/at sth 给某人大量的某事物; 大量的某事物涌向某处
*The office was flooded with complaints. 办事处收到如洪水般涌至的投诉信件.
1 (a) (coming of a) great quantity of water, esp over a place that is usu dry 大量的水; 洪水; 水灾
*The heavy rain caused floods in the houses by the river. 这场大雨下得河边的房子里都进了水.
* There's a flood in the next valley. 旁边的山谷被水淹了.
(b) the Flood (Bible 《圣经》) the one that was sent by God to punish mankind, as described in the Old Testament book of Genesis （《旧约·创世记》中所记载上帝藉以惩罚人类的）洪水.
2 ~ (of sth) great quantity or volume 多; 大批; 大量; 大
*a flood of anger, abuse, indignation, etc 大发雷霆、大骂、满腔义愤
* a flood of letters, refugees 大量涌来的信件、难民
* The child was in floods of tears, ie was crying uncontrollably. 那孩子哭成了泪人儿.
3 flowing in of the tide from the sea to the land; rising tide 涨潮
*The tide is at the flood. 正在涨潮. Cf 参看 ebbn 1.
4 (idm 习语) in `flood (of a river) overflowing （指河流）泛滥
*We can't cross the meadow there because the river is in flood. 我们不能从那里穿过草地, 因为河水泛滥了.
1. We realized that they must have become unduly frightened by the rising flood. 我们看得出，上涨的洪水一定使他们怕得过分了：他们的房子有极好的地基，即使大水没顶也能稳当地顶得住。
2. We realized that they must have become unduly frightened by the rising flood, 我们意识到他们一定是被不断上涨的洪水吓坏了。
3. The flood left desolation in its wake. 洪水过后, 留下一片荒凉景象。
4. Though the village was hit by a big flood the commune members were not discouraged. 村子虽然遭了严重水灾，可是社员们并不气馁。
5. The flood displaced houses from their foundation. 洪水冲走了房屋。
6. The flood in Venice was a catastrophe. 威尼斯的洪水是一场大灾难。
7. The flood, laden with rich earth, reaches the lower valley about 15 June — at a time when the whole land has been burnt black by the sun. It brings "the water of life". 大约每年六月十五日，尼罗河水挟带着肥沃的泥土流到了下游，给已被太阳烤得焦黑的土地带来了“生命之水”。
8. Then at last the miracle happened for which his unconscious mind had been seeking for so long. Falling into a sleeplike condition, he suddenly felt as though he were sinking in a mighty flood of water, and the rush and roar soon took musical shape wi 终于，他的潜意识长期以来一直在寻找的奇迹发生了。他进入了似睡非睡的朦胧状态，骤然间感觉到自己仿佛掉进了滔滔洪水之中,不断在下沉，很快，洪水的冲击声和咆哮声以音乐的形式呈现在他的脑海里。
9. Yes,the flood made many people homeless. 是的, 洪水使得很多人无家可归.
10. Yes,the flood made many people homeless. 是的, 洪水使得很多人无家可归.