1 following accepted rules of behaviour; showing or expecting careful, serious behaviour, as eg on official occasions or in distant, not close, relationships 正式的; 正规的; 按规矩的; 有礼貌的; 庄重的; 文雅的
*She has a very formal manner. 她举止端庄.
* a formal dinner, luncheon, dance, etc 正式的晚餐、午餐、舞会等
* formal dress 礼服
* `Request' is a more formal way of saying `ask for'. 用request一词比用ask for显得郑重.
2 regular or geometric in shape; symmetrical 形状整齐的; 成几何图形的; 匀称的
*formal gardens 整齐的花园.
3 of the outward shape or appearance (in contrast to the content or substance) 外形的; 外观的; 形式上的
*There is only a formal resemblance between the two systems; they are in fact radically different. 这两种体系只是在表面上有某种相似之处, 其实根本不同.
4 publicly declared and recognized as official 公开宣布的; 正式承认的
*a formal denial 公开否认
* a formal declaration of war 正式宣战.
5 [attrib 作定语] (of education) officially given at a school, college, etc （指教育）正规的
*The job does not require any formal training. 做这种工作不需要任何正规训练.
1. Before proceedings, Churchill and Stalin agreed that Roosevelt, the only head of state, would preside at the first formal session. 丘吉尔和斯大林会前商定，罗斯福是唯一的国家元首，将由他主持第一次正式会晤。
2. The sneakers he is wearing is quite incongruous with his formal attire. 他穿的运动鞋与他的礼服极不协调。
3. The letter was formal in its wording. 此信措辞正式。
4. They are not associated with any formal role in society, nor are they in any formal relationship with another person. 他们和社会上任何正派人都不搭界，也不和其他人建立任何合乎传统习俗的联系。
5. There was a courtyard in front of the place and two gardens in back, one to provide vegetables, one to delight the eye in the formal Japanese layout. 屋前有个院子，屋后有两个园子——一个用来种菜，另一个设计得合乎日本传统，供观赏用。
6. Sports clothes are not appropriate for a formal wedding. 运动服用於正式婚礼中是不适当的.
7. She is not used to the formal mode of address. 她不习惯于这种正式称呼。
8. My parents made a formal visit to my future husband's house to see whether Ram's family would treat me well. 我的父母正式拜访了我未来丈夫的家，看看拉姆的家人是否会善待我。
9. I don´t care.I hate to be formal. 我不在乎, 我讨厌拘泥于形式.