adj.早的,迅速的,前进的 vt.转寄,促进,运送 adv.向前地,向将来 n.[体](足球等)前锋
名词:forwardness 副词:forwardly 动词过去式:forwarded 过去分词:forwarded 现在分词:forwarding 第三人称单数:forwards
fore-=before 变化型 for-
1 [attrib 作定语]
(a) directed or moving towards the front 向前方的; 向前进的
*forward movement 向前运动.
(b) situated in front; near or at the front 位于前面的; 接近或在前面的
*forward ranks of troops 军队队列的前几排
* The forward part of the train is for first-class passengers only. 火车的前部只是头等车厢.
2 (of plants, crops, etc) having progressed more than is normal or expected; (of children) having developed certain abilities earlier than normal; well advanced （指花草、农作物等）早熟的; （指儿童）发育早的; 早熟的
*The summer crops were forward this year. 今年夏季农作物成熟得早.
* a forward child 早熟的孩子.
3 [attrib 作定语] of or relating to the future 未来的; 与未来有关的
*forward planning 对未来的计画
* (commerce 商) forward buying, ie buying goods at present prices for delivery later 预购. =>Usage at forward2 用法见forward2.
4 (a) ready and willing to be involved; eager 热心参与的; 急切的
*be forward in helping others 热心助人的.
(b) too eager; too bold in one's manner; presumptuous 过于急切的; （行为）过于大胆的; 冒昧的; 孟浪的; 莽撞的
*a forward young girl 冒失的女孩子
* I hope you'll apologize that was a very forward thing to do. 我希望你能道歉--那事你做得太莽撞了. Cf 参看 backward.
1 (also forwards) towards the front or end, into a prominent position 向前或向末端（到达一突出位置）
*Move forward carefully or you'll slip. 小心地往前走, 不然会滑倒.
* play a tape-recording forwards, not backwards 将录音带向前转, 别向後倒
* push one's way forward 挤着往前走. Cf 参看 back3 1.
2 onward so as to make progress 向前; 前进
*an important step forward 向前迈进的重要一步
* We are not getting any further forward with the project. 我们目前在该计画上没有什么进展.
* The project will go forward as planned. 该工程将按计画进行.
3 towards the future; onwards in time 向着将来; 向着未来
*from this time forward 从此以後
* Look forward and consider the advantages of a larger house. 从长远着想, 考虑一下大房子的好处.
4 (idm 习语) backward(s) and forward(s) => backwards (backward). put one's best foot forward => best1. put the clock/clocks forward/back => clock1.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*The suffix -ward means `in the direction of' and forms adverbs and adjectives*-ward这一後缀意为｀向着某方向＇, 用以构成副词和形容词
*forward, backward, westward, homeward, etc 向前、向後、向西、向家里等. The suffix -wards has the same meaning but only forms adverbs *-wards与-ward意思相同但只能构成副词
*forwards, backwards, westwards, homewards, etc 向前、向後、向西、向家里等. Compare 试比较
*They turned westward/westwards after crossing the river. 他们过河以後向西拐了. They travelled in a westward direction. 他们往西走了.
* He leant forward/forwards to see better. 他把身子向前探, 以便看得更清楚. To move house requires forward planning. 要搬家得先做好计画.
1 (a) [I, Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) send (a letter, etc) to a new address 将（信件等）投递到新地址; 转递
*please forward, ie a note written on an envelope, a parcel, etc 请转递（写在信封、包裹上的字样）
* Please forward our post (to our new home) when we move. 我们搬家後, 请将邮件转递（到我们的新住处）.
(b) [Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) send or dispatch (esp goods or information) to a customer （向客户）发送或递送（尤指货物或信息）
*forward a shipment of gloves 发送一批手套
* We have today forwarded you our new catalogue. 我们今天已将新目录发送给你们了.
2 [Tn] help to advance or develop (sth); further 帮助促进或发展（某事物）; 增进; 提高
*forward sb's plans, career, interests, etc. 促使完成某人的计画、发展某人的事业、提高某人的利益.
n attacking player near the front in football, hockey, etc （足球、曲棍球等的）前锋. Cf 参看 striker 2.
1. Winter is forward this year. 今年冬天来得比住年早。
2. We are all very excited and are looking forward to the Olympic Games because they have never been held before in this country. 我们都非常激动，盼望着奥运会的到来，因为在这个国家里还从未举办过奥运会。
3. When all were assembled, the ruler stepped forward and raised his right hand. 众人到齐后，国王上前举起右手。
4. When Churchill completed his argument, Stalin leaned forward and said he wanted to ask an indiscreet question: "Do the British really believe in Overlord, or are you only saying so to reassure the Russians?" 当丘吉尔阐明完他的论点之后，斯大林向前俯过身来说他想问一个很轻率的问题：“英国确实相信‘霸王’行动，还是你们只是为了打消苏联人的疑虑呢？”
5. The proposals they put forward at the meeting were of little significance. 他们在会上提出的建议无足轻重。
6. There is no sky in June so blue that it does not point forward to a bluer, 六月蔚蓝的天空总使人遥想一个更加蔚蓝的苍穹；
7. The Japanese are eager to move forward and Westerners, perhaps, lag behind as they take the time for in-depth planning. 日本人热情十足地往前走，而西方人因需要时间作详细计划，则可能落后。
8. Nobody else came forward. 此外无人到场。
9. As she was thrown forward, the cake went right through the windscreen and landed on the road. 当她被向前一甩时，蛋糕正好摔出了挡风玻璃，落到地上。
10. As she was thrown forward, the cake went right through the windscreen and landed on the road. 她往前一冲，蛋糕从挡风玻璃飞了出去掉到马路上。此时，一辆卡车正好从后边开到那辆汽车边上，