fac＝face（面部，正面），forehead（前额） 变化型 front
/'frʌntɪə(r); [US] frʌn'tɪər; frʌn`tɪr/
(a) ~ (between sth and sth); ~ (with sth) border between two countries 国界; 边界
*the frontier between Austria and Hungary 奥地利和匈牙利之间的边界.
(b) land on either side of such a border 边疆; 边陲; 边境; 国境
*[attrib 作定语] a frontier zone 边境地带
* a frontier town 边疆城镇
* frontier disputes 边界争端.
2 the frontier [sing] (esp US) extreme limit of settled land, beyond which the country is wild and undeveloped 已开发地区的边缘地带
*Beyond the frontier lay very real dangers. 在开发地区以外十分危险.
3 the frontiers [pl] extreme limit, esp of knowledge about sth 极限（尤指有关某事物的知识的）; 尖端; 边缘
*advance the frontiers of science 拓展科学的领域
* teach near the frontiers of one's subject, ie give recently discovered information 讲授个人专业领域的新知识. =>Usage at border 用法见border.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: French;Origin: frontière, from front; FRONT1]
[C]especially BrE the border of a country
Lille is close to the frontier between France and Belgium.
on/at the frontier
Troops established a road block on the frontier.
frontier town/area/post etc
(=a town etc on a frontier)
an area where people have never lived before, that not much is known about, especially in the western US before the 20th century
a novel about a family's struggle on the American frontier
space, the final frontier
the frontiers of knowledge/physics etc
the limits of what is known about something
push back the frontiers
(=discover new things)
1. But the Buffalo nickel, produced from 1913 to 1938, honored a pair of connected tragedies from the settlement of the American frontier — the destruction of the buffalo herds and the American Indians. 但1913至1938年间发行的野牛硬币，却是为了纪念由美国拓居引起的两起相互关联的悲剧--野牛群的灭绝和美洲印第安人的毁灭。
2. We must show our passports at the frontier. 在边境我们必须出示护照。
3. In short, the individual in conflict with himself and his frontier environment. 总之，主人公是一个自相矛盾，又与他的拓荒环境相矛盾的人物。
4. His hero was firmly rooted in both the history and the mythology of the vanished frontier. 他扮演的角色建立于西部历史和消失了的新垦地的神话之中.
5. And in both the history and the mythology of the vanished frontier. 也扎根于有关已经消失的拓荒生活的历史和神话之中。
6. You fumble to find your passport when you cross a frontier. 或者当你出境时，要摸索着寻找护照。