动词过去式:gapped 过去分词:gapped 现在分词:gapping 第三人称单数:gaps
n ~ (in/between sth)
1 opening or break in sth or between two things 缺口; 裂口; 豁口
*a gap in a fence, hedge, wall, etc 篱笆、树篱、墙壁等的豁口
* The road goes through a gap in/between the hills. 公路从山间峡谷穿过.
2 unfilled interval of space （空间的）间隔
*a gap of five miles between towns 镇与镇之间 相隔五英里
* (fig 比喻) There were some unaccountable gaps in (ie parts missing from) his story. 他讲的话有些地方连贯不起来.
3 unfilled interval of time; lapse （时间的）间隙, 间断
*a gap in the conversation 谈话中的停顿
* After a gap of
30 years the custom was reintroduced. 这一风俗中断了30年後又兴起来了.
* a temporary job to fill the gap between school and university 高中毕业到升入大学前这段时间的临时工作.
4 (fig 比喻) separation 分离
*a wide gap between the opinions of two people 两人意见的巨大分歧.
5 (fig 比喻) deficiency which needs to be filled 需加填补的不足、缺陷或空白
*a gap in one's education 个人受教育上的缺欠
* There was a terrible gap in her life after her husband died. 她在丈夫去世後生活中有过一段难堪的日子.
* a gap in the market, ie absence of a type of article which people might wish to buy 市场上某货物的脱销.
6 (idm 习语) bridge a/the gap => bridge. a credibility gap => credibility (credible). the generation gap => generation.
1【a space】2【difference】3【something missing】4【in time】5【in a mountain】6 gap in the market
1300-1400; Language: Old Norse;Origin:'hole, deep narrow valley'
a space between two objects or two parts of an object, especially because something is missinggap in The neighbors' dog got in through a gap in the hedge. a gap in the trafficgap between the gap between the two rows of seats【DIFFERENCE】
a big difference between two situations, amounts, groups of people etc
→gulfgap between the widening gap between the rich and the poorbridge/close/narrow the gap
(=reduce the amount or importance of a difference) His films attempt to bridge the gap between tradition and modernity. The gap has narrowed to just 12 points now. It seems that the trade gap is widening (=the difference between the amount a country imports and exports) .
→generation gap【SOMETHING MISSING】
something missing that stops something else from being good or completegap in There are huge gaps in my knowledge of history. Frank's death has left a big gap in my life.fill/plug the gap He filled the gap left by Hirst's retirement.【IN TIME】
a period of time when nothing is happening, that exists between two other periods of time when something is happeninggap in an awkward gap in the conversationgap between The gaps between his visits got longer and longer.
→gap year【IN A MOUNTAIN】
a low place between two higher parts of a mountaingap in the market
a product or service that does not exist, so that there is an opportunity to develop that product or service and sell it
1. Bit by bit she closed the gap. 她一点一点地缩短了距离。
2. The work fills in a gap which hitherto existed in our archaeological literature. 这一著作填补了我国考古学文献中的一个空白。
3. After entering the narrow gap on the plateau, they climbed down the steep sides of the cave until they came to a narrow corridor. 他们从高原上的窄缝进去，顺着笔直陡峭的洞壁往下爬。
4. I am able to reach out to others and bridge the gap between my language and culture and theirs. 我能与人交流，并能够弥合我所说的语言和所处的文化与他们的语言和文化之间的鸿沟。