1 [U] (esp US)
(a) waste material, esp domestic refuse 废物; （尤指家庭的）垃圾
*[attrib 作定语] garbage collection/disposal 垃圾收集[处理]
* a garbage truck 垃圾车.
(b) place or receptacle for disposing of this 垃圾场; 垃圾箱
*Throw any left-over food in the garbage. 把剩下的食物倒进垃圾箱里.
2 [U] (fig infml 比喻, 口) nonsense; rubbish 废话; 无聊的话
*You do talk a load of garbage! 你的废话太多了!
3 [U] (fig computing 比喻, 计) meaningless or irrelevant data 无意义的或无关联的资料或数据.
4 (idm 习语) garbage `in, garbage `out (infml 口) (in computing) if you input wrong data, the output will also be wrong （计算机运算中）错进, 错出（若输入错误数据, 则输出亦为错误数据）.
1400-1500; Language: Anglo-Frenc
waste material, such as paper, empty containers, and food thrown away
British Equivalent: rubbish Can you take out the garbage when you go?
stupid words, ideas etc
British Equivalent: rubbish You're talking garbage.garbage in, garbage out
used to say that if the data
(=information) you put into a computer is bad, the results you get back will be bad, even if the computer program you use works properly
1. Each person generates about 4.4 pounds of garbage a day — a number that has seen steady growth. 每人每天生产的垃圾大约为4.4磅，这一数字仍在持续增长。
2. Two: Garbage will bury us. 误区2：垃圾会埋葬我们
3. The original garbage crisis occurred when people first settled down to farm and could no longer leave their places after their garbage grew too deep. 最早的垃圾危机发生在人类首次定居并开始农耕时，由于垃圾堆积过多，人们无法离开他们的住地。
4. Today we can design history's and the world's safest recycling facilities, garbage dumps and facilities for burning rubbish. 今天，我们能够设计出有史以来世界上最安全的再造设施、垃圾场和废物燃烧设备。
5. The obvious solution is to stop generating so much garbage in the first place. 最显而易见的解决办法是首先停止生产这么多垃圾。
6. These all generate lots of garbage, since they are used and discarded quickly, along with their packaging. 如食品和美容用品等非耐用商品。由于使用频繁，丢弃迅速，加上它们的包装，所有这些东西制造了大量的垃圾。
7. Neighborhood groups have coordinated their efforts to clean up the trash or garbage. 居民组织已经在协助清除垃圾或废物。
8. No one wants to spend money on just getting rid of garbage or to have a garbage site in the backyard. 没人愿意把钱花在清理垃圾这种小事上，或在院子里设一处垃圾堆放点。
9. Dig a pit and bury the garbage. 挖一个坑把垃圾埋了。
10. "Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water," he warns. He might have gone a step further and called for respect for both our economists and our trashmen; otherwise, they'll both leave garbage behind. 他警告说，“这个社会的管道和理论都会出问题。”他也许还应进一步要求人们既尊重经济学家又尊重垃圾工；不然的话，他们都会在身后留下垃圾。